How to leave any area, you have dug in.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Last week I went to a large park with a good sized wooded area and hunted in the woods. The area is almost large enough to get lost in and even though it is in woods, you should cover ALL your holes, as best as you can.

I dug up an old dime from a depth of 7 inches and then covered the hole back up. I left the area as to look as much as possible, as though I wasn't even there.

This is something that all metal detector users should strive to do. It irks me to see where someone has left holes uncovered and with dirt piled next to holes dug. >:( >:( >:(
If I ever catch someone doing that, they will get a good talking to, on hunting manners!!!

The first picture is of the 7 inch hole I dug. The coin was at the bottom of the hole and the digger was not forced into the hole, for the picture.
Notice the small tree branch on the top left of the picture. After filling the hole I pushed the leaves back around the area.

The 2nd picture is how I left the area. I took the picture from the other side of the hole.....the hole is in the center of the picture.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 299
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post dimeman..
Even when i hunt farm fields i try and get most of the dirt back in the hole.!!!!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I agree. Great post and pics. I can't even see where you dug in the second picture.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! This is something newbies need to know and follow, hunters that have been in the hobby awhile too sometimes get sloppy.

It helps too also set your dirt on a small plastic sheet so all the dirt can go back.

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stress this to everyone I hunt with.
I also pick up any trash around the area besides what I may dig up.

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah well Im a noob, and from you guys that love this hobby plus Whites advices this, on their Cds and instructions that comes with your, machine; Ive got it right from the get go, I cover up, just like a kitty cat.
So, you vets are getting the message across,thought I would let ya know and thank you also, cause Im liking the hobby thus far and dont wanna upset the cart.
Good diggin,
John

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I do the same thing in the dry sand at the beach. Even though the kids leave craters, if we leave a hole we will get blamed for the lady that sprained her ankle in a hole five minutes before we got to the beach. A good reputation if a must for this hobby.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
to me, it doesn't matter if I'm in a park, beach, old field, it doesn't matter, cover the holes you created, great post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread