Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Things that are more than 50 years old that the State of Floriduh has laid claim to:
Rocks- every rock on the planet.
A good portion of the beer cans that we did up offshore could be 50 years old...buried 3 or 4 feet in the sand.
Lead sinkers and fishing lures. How do we tell the age of lead sinkers? We find lots of them...should we leave them 'in situ'?
The crow bar I dropped in a pond when I was 11. Never did find it and I can't now.
The batteries, engine blocks and other things dropped off every dock in Florida 'back in the day'. "Earl! You gonna carry them 4 8D batteries to the truck?" "Hell no, Ted. They're heavy." Splash.
90 percent of the shipwreck treasure hunters I have met, except for Carl Fismer and the elusive Pat Clyne, are old enough to be classified as submerged cultural resources. Those two are ageless...guess that's what happens when rum is used as a preservative. :)
Ahhhh, Florida.
For more escapades of the intellectual elite: FloriDUH: Weird Florida News - Orlando Sentinel

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Things that are more than 50 years old that the State of Floriduh has laid claim to:

Haha, well I know this is a "shipwreck salvor" forum-section. But in-so-far as md'ing pertains to normal inter-tidal zone fumble fingers beach-hunting: The newbie skittish questions on "where can I beach hunt in FL?" seem to come up all the time on forums, right ? And long-time FL beach hunters answer them with affirmative "it's legal" answers all the time, right ?

Yet truth-be-told, it's technically legal in-so-far as you're not finding items that are not artifacts or cultural heritage. And if you sleuth deeply enough (and ask enough bored archies) you will eventually conclude that's 50 or more years old. However, no one in FL seems to be bothered with such nuances.

Same for State of CA: You can hunt our state-of-CA administered beaches here till you're blue in the face. Yet I'll bet if you connected enough dots, and asked enough purist archies, I'll bet that *technically* you can't disturb 50+ yr. old objects. It's a good thing that all my coins are 49 yrs. or less old ! :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Rocks- every rock on the planet.
A good portion of the beer cans that we did up offshore could be 50 years old...buried 3 or 4 feet in the sand.
Lead sinkers and fishing lures. How do we tell the age of lead sinkers? We find lots of them...should we leave them 'in situ'?
The crow bar I dropped in a pond when I was 11. Never did find it and I can't now.
The batteries, engine blocks and other things dropped off every dock in Florida 'back in the day'. "Earl! You gonna carry them 4 8D batteries to the truck?" "Hell no, Ted. They're heavy." Splash.
90 percent of the shipwreck treasure hunters I have met, except for Carl Fismer and the elusive Pat Clyne, are old enough to be classified as submerged cultural resources. Those two are ageless...guess that's what happens when rum is used as a preservative. :)
Ahhhh, Florida.
For more escapades of the intellectual elite: FloriDUH: Weird Florida News - Orlando Sentinel

That is a good one!:laughing7: It seems that Florida sun, the salt from the ocean and in the air as well as Rum turns the skin to something akin to leather. They won't need a mortician when they pass, just a box and a hole to put it in as they are already mummified.

Frank

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody needs to send a bucket of 1967 pennies to the state of Florida ...and ask why its against the law to dig them up .,
If you confront them with their own foolishness.... you might get a response...
Personally. I'd try Adam Putnam first...he's a farmboy with eyes on being the next governor..

Heck......the state of florida should send me a bucket of 67 pennies for picking up so much trash off the beaches. Ill roll em up and cash um in for silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions