How to return items while avoiding scammers?

kaa

Oct 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to a place I found a coin earlier this summer, that seemed likely lost and special to someone, and posted my # and put "Found an old coin here, call to describe it". I got a few calls from the same lady, and I'd almost say she doesn't know how to use a phone, but she asked about the coin, described vaguely, saying it "might be" (and said another country than what it was) and I tried to ask denomination and color but we got disconnected. She called again and I think she was trying to say she found her son's coin, and I was like "great!!" then she kept mumbling, and I gathered she still had something to say, but she hung up. (she had no accent or anything, I just couldn't understand her on the phone). And now I'm wondering, why call at all to tell me I don't have your coin? And I explained on the 2nd call that I didn't have her number and that's why I couldn't call her back before, and she didn't say her number again. I keep running through my head now, how I've dealt with her, and hope I'm doing this right. I plan, if she calls again, to be blunt- if she can't describe it, I can't return it. She says it's her sons from grandpa though, and I keep thinking, yeah, maybe she doesn't know what it is, just that it got lost. Maybe she's legit. It's not worth $2 in the coin world, but it looks like it was really sentimental, well worn, clean. If you put up an ad, what do you say on it? I figure that would ward off most scammers, if it could say something tougher sounding maybe LOL Any other advice to those whom would like to return items, but don't want to help scammers? Aside from just be tough and stick to your guns... I'll be working on that! :P

thanks!

Upvote 0

plumbcrazy

Sep 2, 2013
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider this. If you give it to her, I would say your heart is in the right place. So what happens after she gets it is on her conscience. In general though, stick to your guns. If something is sentimental to someone they will be able to describe it. If it belonged to a family member all she has to do is pass your number to them for a description. Any family heirloom should be describable by the proper owner IMO.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, you are being scammed. Don't bother too much with this one. If the rightful owner wants to get it back, your instructions to "describe it" and to be able to use a phone are about as simple as it can get.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use Craig's and their email so people are forced to respond through to an anonymous email box. Give just the minimal info and let writers describe what they lost. Only respond back if its a likely fit or you have questions.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, unless it has a Name, or Phrase carved into it,
or the person can name the coin without hesitation,
there will be no way to know for sure.

you put it out there for someone to respond,
your going to have to Judge yourself.

From the way your describing this lady though, She may be trying to explain you may have found
a coin her son lost, & is having to hang up and call her son back for more info,
whenever you ask another question of her :tongue3:
or she needs someone to come find something for her

Does she sound Old ? Senile ? slow ?

I Find it hard to believe someone would call twice on a scam attempt,
with only " coin " as a hint to go on, unless she is Very slow & considers herself Psychic :laughing7:.

Doesn't mean it's her's , Just means she felt it may be.

I also find it hard to believe anyone would try to return a coin, Foreign or domestic.

Must be a special coin :notworthy:

if I found a special coin, Painted, engraved or Not, it's probably over a hundred years old
& It's mine, or it's recent, forgotten about by the loser & it's Mine :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread