Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang,
I did a search of the forums, but I couldn't find a thread that covered this to my liking so I thought that I would start one with my questions.
- What is the best/safest way to clean coins?
- Are there different methods based on the coin metal type?
- If so, what are the methods that you use?

I've read suggestions that some use water and baking soda. I've also read something about heating Hydrogen Peroxide and soaking. I have also read reference to ultrasonics I think and some kind of tumbler.

How about jewelry.... Different from coin cleaning I would assume?

I just got my X-terra 705, but have not had an opportunity to really try it out....Hurry up weekend!!!!
As you can see by my inquiry, I fully intend to find lots of coins and jewelry and be inducted into the metal detecting Hall of Fame. LOL :laughing7:

Thanks for sharing your information with a rookie.

~C~

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a whole thing on BuckleBoys page that is pretty good about how to clean artifacts.. never use tap water and use distilled water.. if you do use tap water you better then apply a cleaning agent that will kill the contamination of the tap water so the artifact doesnt turn all green and crusty..

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Carla,
Welcome to a great hobby. I for one look forward to your induction into the Metal Detecting Hall of Fame.

Cleaning coins?

There are several methods:

Soaking in olive oil

Soaking in olive oil while resting on aluminum foil

Wrapping in aluminum foil and then soaking in olive oil

Soaking in baking soda with all combinations mentioned above

Tumbling in a rock tumbler

Electrocuting with electrolysis (fun -you get to wear a lab coat and chant brahahaha while rubbing your hands together and licking your lips)

The best place to learn is on You Tube. Most of these methods are shown in detail. As well, you can google how to clean coins and get some good text (not forum replies).

The one thing to know is that if you believe the coin you have found is rare or valuable- don't do anything to it. Seriously, don't even knock the excess dirt off it until you've verified it's value.

While it is unlikely that you will find anything in that category, it is possible. Truthfully, though the hobby isn't about winning the metal detecting lottery. it's about digging up ordinary everyday items that people lost a long time ago. There is a lot of satisfaction holding a coin that noone has touched in 100 years. And, there you are standing on the exact spot that person was standing when they lost it so long ago! Pretty cool stuff!!! And what the hobby is all about for many of us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Carla,
Welcome to a great hobby. I for one look forward to your induction into the Metal Detecting Hall of Fame.

Cleaning coins?

There are several methods:

Soaking in olive oil

Soaking in olive oil while resting on aluminum foil

Wrapping in aluminum foil and then soaking in olive oil

Soaking in baking soda with all combinations mentioned above

Tumbling in a rock tumbler

Electrocuting with electrolysis (fun -you get to wear a lab coat and chant brahahaha while rubbing your hands together and licking your lips)

The best place to learn is on You Tube. Most of these methods are shown in detail. As well, you can google how to clean coins and get some good text (not forum replies).

The one thing to know is that if you believe the coin you have found is rare or valuable- don't do anything to it. Seriously, don't even knock the excess dirt off it until you've verified it's value.

While it is unlikely that you will find anything in that category, it is possible. Truthfully, though the hobby isn't about winning the metal detecting lottery. it's about digging up ordinary everyday items that people lost a long time ago. There is a lot of satisfaction holding a coin that noone has touched in 100 years. And, there you are standing on the exact spot that person was standing when they lost it so long ago! Pretty cool stuff!!! And what the hobby is all about for many of us.

Thanks for the information. I would hate to ruin a find by not caring for it properly. I have been watching many detecting videos on U-Tube but did not even consider searching for cleaning methods there. The internet is sometimes and amazing place.
~C~

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a whole thing on BuckleBoys page that is pretty good about how to clean artifacts.. never use tap water and use distilled water.. if you do use tap water you better then apply a cleaning agent that will kill the contamination of the tap water so the artifact doesnt turn all green and crusty..

Thank you for the information. I would be grateful if you could tell me how to access BuckleBoys page. I am not familiar with how to do that.
~C~

For Airborne

Feb 18, 2013
Pskov Russia
Detector(s) used
x-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is good to put copper green coins in solution with children's soap in which there is trilon B, and then to brush every day cut for teeth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread