How to sell gold??

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have found some fairly nice rings over the past year. Now, how do I sell them and get a deicent price for them? It seems like the places around me that buy old jewelry just want to rip you off. I have one ring in particular that I know retails for about $1500, It has 4 1/5c diamonds in it as well. I figured I would get about $700 for it. The best offer I have gotten is $150. I still have the ring. Any suggestions?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Well I don't have any experience with selling jewelery online, But if you google ( highest paying gold buyers) you will see a number of sites that will mail you a bag to send them all your weighted gold in. they send you a check like a week later. They pay by the gram and are very competitive online for your business. I have seen up to $23/gram last year when I was looking. As far as the diamond rings go....You should develop a relationship with a local jeweler that may allow you to sell your best finds on consignment. Sell them your cheap junk and let them know how often you find jewelery. They always want more business and will be more likely to treat you fairly. Lastly...Stay away from Craigslist for safety sake.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Overvoltage said:
OK, I have found some fairly nice rings over the past year. Now, how do I sell them and get a deicent price for them? It seems like the places around me that buy old jewelry just want to rip you off. I have one ring in particular that I know retails for about $1500, It has 4 1/5c diamonds in it as well. I figured I would get about $700 for it. The best offer I have gotten is $150. I still have the ring. Any suggestions?

We're i in your position I would track down concierge type outfits that find engagement wedding and other rings etc for people, also if it is a nice ring put it on eBay with a buy now price or a reserve I know a guy here in Nassau who finds nice rings for people, send him a photo and he can let people know where to go for it

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I know i have and others have done very well on Ebay with rings.. ........... With a nice ring to me...Ebay is the only way to go and get the best price........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Used diamond rings are not worth much, unless the diamond is a big extra quality one carat plus honker, then the diamond will be worth more than the gold, but this is not the norm.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul , get back in touch with me. I can help you with this I think. Also today I saw where some treees had been cut and there is an old house site that I never knew was there before. I think I know who owns the land and I'll try to get with them and see if we can hunt there. Also,I'll try to get in touch with my friend about the place we discussed earlier.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like someone else here stated - "used" or 2nd hand diamond rings on the resale market aren't worth much unless it has a very large rock in it (1ct or more).

Also - as someone said - ebay may be your best bet IF it's an extremely attractive ring that the majority would like to have/wear

but

if it's just a common / dime a dozen gold/small diamonds ring

the best thing to do at that point is REMOVE the stones and sell the gold for scrap

save the stones in a pill bottle (1 bottle for ea type of stone) (ie - rubies, diamonds, etc.) until you have several of ea and then sell those to a jeweler at wholesale

I get $10 per .10 points for diamonds up to 1/2ct - after 1/2ct the price is based on the 4cs (cut, carat, clarity, color) which usually works out to an avg. of around $20 per .10 points unless it's something extremely good. Many times I will sell in a private sale when I have a diamond 1/2ct or larger as you can usually do better than on the wholesale market with stones that big and above.

Hope this helps some :-)

HH

OP
OP
O

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0247[1].jpg
Here is a picture of the ring. It has some damage and looks like one of the diamond are missing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread