How to separate and purify platinum?

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi,
I was given two pieces of melted platinum (see the photos). They are pretty heavy, the original material was found in a mine in the mountains. I tested both with the jewelers stone and liquid and it resulted 100% positive for platinum. The problems I face are the following: I do not know what is the contents of platinum is in each respective sample ( I mean how much %) and then how to separate the platinum from other metals because I suppose that it cannot be pure. The bigger sample weights 174 grams and the smaller one 54 grams, but I was told that if it is pure platinum, it should weight almost double.
So, my friends, you are experts and professionals in this field, not me, so I would like to ask you for help and for some explications. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Lobo

Attachments

• IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    792.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    967.1 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes serious equipment to purify platinum from what I have read. the Spanish miners used to throw it away as trash when they refined their gold and silver.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Platinum nuggets of that size would be quite rare and valuable, I would establish that before I started using acid or heat. JMHO

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precipitation after a very long boiling cook in aqua regia(over 3 hours) is the way to go. To precipitate you use ,1 tablespoon of ammonia chloride to 1 cup of water, but first gold/silver must be removed by precipitation also/filtering all numerous times.The Placer Miners Alchemy Cookbook,Robin Lee author, has the very long process step by step.It also has 4 other methods for gold/silver/pt recoveries. Tough stuff to recover from hardrock but can be done after much grinding to microscopic size. When you talk other members of the pt group rhodium,indium,osnium forget it as lab needed-John

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush and grind material as fine as you can. Roast material, then use the acid of choice. Drop with ammonium chloride.

The goldrefiningforum.com is a great source and has a lot work with platinum cat material that will help with what you are doing.

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Go get'm man as worth much more than gold even :occasion14: John

Is there any place where they would buy this material in the form I have it? I mean, it is definitely not pure platinum, I do not know how much platinum contain these samples, I only know that there is a platinum. Thanks for advices....

Regards,
Lobo

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out specialtymetals.com
They are in Connecticut and refine platinum mining concentrates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread