Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a grid to search the water while using a piece of foam on a string with a sinker to mark a generized area which I then worked around the float. When I thought I was done there I moved the float to another section. This way you are not searching an area that you already covered. Many hunter just walkout in the water and start sweeping in a random pattern while thinking they cover the most area. They are relying on luck instead of percentages to find something.

I hip mount all my water detector except the ones I dive with. I tape the cable straight up the shaft on the left side so it offers less water resistance to my sweeps.

bottomscratcher

Mar 1, 2010
Eastern CT
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers pulse 8 x
You should have some point of reference when searching in the water. If looking for a known lost object, use a grid. Otherwise you will miss spots and have to rely on luck.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fisher2 said:
so im going to be getting a underwater metal detector to use at a local freshwater beach
what is the best attack plan for a beach if im going to be in the water just wander where i think the most people gather thruout the day and hope? or grid? how hard is a water detector to swing a grid pattern

The best way to get started is to get and read some books by Clive Clynick on beach and water hunting.
This guy is the best and shares all his experience, knowledge, and secrets about the sport.

Here is the link ... http://www.akmining.com/cart/bookcoins.htm

Why invest all that money into a detector and then stumble around like a blind hog.
Sure ... after many hours at the beach you will catch on and start finding stuff ... but why not read the books and maximize your time there from the start.
Besides ... Clive has forgot more than I will ever know about beach hunting and the books are very good reference material to use time and time again.
One of his books should be shipped with every water detector sold ... they are that good.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread