How to tell if somethings gold?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Does it have any marks? If it's marked 14k or something...anything, it may tell the tale. Gold seems to not get corroded or "dirty" like other metals.
For instance, my best find yesterday was a little gold filled st christopher charm. It is marked on the back, 10 K G F. This represents 10 karat gold filled.
Some stuff has no markings at all and can still be made of the great yellow metal. Some stuff is marked and total fake/junk. Like a copper pandant you find that has no gold plating left, but is marked on the back "14K". (Yes, I found one recently, woulda been nice!)
If you have a 20x or better loop/magnifier, check for damaged or worn areas and see if the gold is on top of another "base" metal. Base metal can be steel or copper, etc. I find that copper is used a lot with gold plated jewelry. If you have good enough magnification, you can see the plating show through on high points or areas of significant wear. for instance, the top inside of the eylet on a necklace pendant. It is always hanging and rubbing on the chain therefore causing wear. Last, if it's not, go find a real one or two or three or....HH

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
I found it md'ing and it came out shining like new. there are no marks on it at all and I scratched the top with a needle and it looks like silver underneath.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Sure there is no little "925" anywhere? That's what your'e hoping for if the gold scratches off. 925=sterling silver. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread