How to tell the difference in the sounds of metal detecting.

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum cans ring up as dimes with my Ace 250. I can usually tell the difference because of the size of the target. Unless it's a small piece of can slaw, you should be able to figure out if it's a coin or a can by the size.

I pinpoint the target and hold down the pinpoint button while slowly moving the coil away from the target. You can usually get a good idea as to the size of the target by doing this once or twice. Practice is the key. I still dig a deep can once in awhile. Better to do that, than miss out on a silver dime. When in doubt, dig it out...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some models of detectors there's no difference in sound between trash and treasure, never used a tracker 4 so you might ask in the bounty hunter forum section. I know some cheaper models of those don't even have a pinpoint mode, some detectors are better than others on sound with trash being broken tone at the beginning or end of the sweep while treasure will be nice and solid sound throughout your sweep. HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The truth is, no matter what machine you use, time on the headphones and targets dug are the only way to learn the machine's language. Tinny, fuzzy, ragged, sharp, bell-like.. the descriptors go on and on for tone qualities. After 300-hours and a thousand targets dug, you'll begin to hear the slight differences and judge depths. :skullflag:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The type of metal in question plays a dominant role, of course, but size matters. Sizing the target is probably the most underrated way to make a determination regarding whether to dig - anything big enough will probably sound good if not discriminated. For example, can slaw is at the low end, but big can slaw (the can) is at the high end. Raise the coil, draw it out in pinpoint mode, etc. and pass by the big stuff unless cache hunting or something similar.

*or dig it out and see if it's hiding anything

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread