Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works great in the sandy, mild soils around here in southern GA. I was told its a no go in highly conductive soil in Virgina because of its lack of ground balance. A Pi like the whites TDI necessary to use in that type soil from what I understand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Works great in the farm fields of New York. It did pretty well in the goldfields of Arizona as well.

Attachments

• DesertShark.jpg
    DesertShark.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG00342-20110813-1134.jpg
    IMG00342-20110813-1134.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry...how did u route the coil wire at the grip on your SS? Did you just wrap the wire around the grip?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry...how did u route the coil wire at the grip on your SS? Did you just wrap the wire around the grip?

I just let it hang under the grip, worked fine and never gets in the way or snags on anything

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a machine for the beach....but I only spend a few weeks a year there, so i would like to be able to get some use out of it around home aswell. I have looked very closely at the ATX...but the price vrs how much I will use it has me leaning more toward the Sand Shark.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, I guess I'm confused. You asked how well it worked away form the beach, and based on your username I was assuming maybe you meant in the mineralized grounds in inland Virginia. For the price and performance on the beach the Shark is a great buy. I like the Whites Dual Field also on wet sand, but the big 12" coil doesn't slice through the water like the Sand Sharks thinner donut coil.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch....that is what I meant. Just like to find a machine that works in both areas....the beach and my hot VA soil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector can be used at the beach, but not near the wet saltwater sand. The Sand Shark will excel there and is waterproof to the wet spray. Inland you may find lots of trash. Golfers use more than one club and we need more than one unit to save time.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch....that is what I meant. Just like to find a machine that works in both areas....the beach and my hot VA soil.

That's what I was insinuating that from what others have told me the Shark isn't going to work inland in the hot/ conductive soils in VA because of its lack of ground balance. You could buy a Whites TDI and use it in both places very well. Just bag it up for the occasional beach hunt. It's deeper than the Shark or the Dual Field from what tests I've seen on beach detecting.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I was insinuating that from what others have told me the Shark isn't going to work inland in the hot/ conductive soils in VA because of its lack of ground balance. You could buy a Whites TDI and use it in both places very well. Just bag it up for the occasional beach hunt. It's deeper than the Shark or the Dual Field from what tests I've seen on beach detecting.

OPINION: The TDI is overpriced and WAY overhyped. It will NOT go deeper than the Dual Field - or Sand Shark on a saltwater beach. I used all three.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry....been watching some of your youtube videos. Looks like you have done very well with the Sand Shark. I cant see myself using a non waterproof machine at the beach. Plus the tdi is a little pricier than I want to spend for a machine to use just a few weeks a year.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine just sold a nice tdi....but the lack of waterproofing made me pass it up. He upgraded to a gpx4800.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OPINION: The TDI is overpriced and WAY overhyped. It will NOT go deeper than the Dual Field - or Sand Shark on a saltwater beach. I used all three.

Terry, I've only used the shark and DF. Sorry just basing my comment on video comparisons. I know the shark and DF will hit stuff deeper than this guy wants to dig sometimes! 15-20" is plenty for me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread