How will a Minelab Explorer II Pro perform in a hot, dry desert setting?

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Never having been there with my EXP II, I honestly can't say. But I've not had a problem with mine using it on the beaches to the gold country of calif.
It's from australia and from what I've heard is used in the outback. And if it can handle that, I feel fairly sure it could handle your terrain. HH

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Scot. I have used mine in 100deg plus conditions,and have had no major problems.On one of these days I left it in the car undercover but it was probably 120 + in the car and I found the liquid crystal display on the screen had become blotchy and impossible to read.Once it had cooled down the screen went back to normal.I took it down to minelab and they tested it and said it was fine and that it is normal for the screens to do this if they get too hot. I have had my machine for a few years now and have had no problems since, its just something to be aware of keep the cool machine cool. did you try Profile Prospectors Supplies for Platypus? Seeya Neilo

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey Neilo! Thanks for the information. Hey, do you know how the Explorer will actually detect in the hot desert with the sand and highly mineralized soil? Actually the "soil" here is composed of tiny rocks, not dirt at all really. I did a search for Profile Prospectors Supplies but couldn't find them. Are they in Australia?

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Scott. the machine works well in mineralised ground but use it in Manual sensitivity, in auto it tends to over compensate for the mineralised ground and you will loose depth. The site for the Platypus. is Docs Place, Profile Prospecting Supply, Las Vegas,Nevada. try Http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/specordr.html
This will give you the site and Andy Sabisch feild test on the coil.good luck seeya Neilo ;D

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red soil generally does indicate Fe, usually hematite or goethite. I don't know how this compares with magnetite soils as far as its effect on a detector, though. I think magnetite is more conductive, so I'd expect northeastern soils to be among the worst.

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey Neilo! Thanks SO SO much for pointing me to Doc's! Hey, in your opinion, does this coil work well in nugget shooting, and has anyone on this forum used it specifically for that?? I want one, but my motivation (besides slightly increased performance) for getting one is that I have heard it is outstanding for nugget shooting. Any input here??

neilo said:
Hi Scott. the machine works well in mineralised ground but use it in Manual sensitivity, in auto it tends to over compensate for the mineralised ground and you will loose depth. The site for the Platypus. is Docs Place, Profile Prospecting Supply, Las Vegas,Nevada. try Http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/specordr.html
This will give you the site and Andy Sabisch feild test on the coil.good luck seeya Neilo ;D

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Scot by running on deep with iron mask on at -16 with gain up 9 it will pick up small nuggets, but only shallow, max depth only a couple of inches. But of course size does make a difference, its a matter of go slow, low and listen for the weeker signals. good luck glad to help seeya Neilo ;D

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Scott I did a bit of a try out with some nuggets today, running on deep, iron mask turned on -16, in manual running at 21 and gain on 9, I was able to detect a 1.1 gram nugget at 5inches with the Platypus, this was on the beach in wet salty sand.This would be comparable to a high mineralised situation. seeya Neilo
nug.jpg

OP
OP
ScottNewMexico

ScottNewMexico

May 7, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Excellent Neilo! Now THAT is what I call true data! So, if the coil detected this small nugget at that depth on that kind of soil, then hopefully it will enable me to find nuggets with some digging and searching.

I wonder how the stock coil compares with your Platypus on finding this same nugget? That would be a great comparison to make! Post that here Neilo if you ever have time to switch out the coils to experiment.

Nice find!!! ;D ;D ;D

neilo said:
Scott I did a bit of a try out with some nuggets today, running on deep, iron mask turned on -16, in manual running at 21 and gain on 9, I was able to detect a 1.1 gram nugget at 5inches with the Platypus, this was on the beach in wet salty sand.This would be comparable to a high mineralised situation. seeya Neilo
nug.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread