How would you cache hunt this locaton???

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I am in need of your expert cache hunting opinions. I am going to start a hunt next weekend on a friends house in CT. His property extends into some woods several hundred yards, and the woods have several long segments of old stone wall running through them. We have found one spot where the stone wall has a break, almost like an entrance. The entrance leads into a clearing, no trees, just tall grass and shrubs. The wall runs around the clearing in a roughly rectangular shape, with the "front" of the rectangle on the "entrance" side continuing on into the woods. Although we have found no evidence of it, we feel like the clearing that is walled off must have once held a building, possible a homesite or barn. Just around the clearing, at different points outside of the rectangle, are three old, large trees that are obviously much older than the rest of the woods. We have researched the area, and according to the local historical society, the land there was once a colonial era farm, dating back to the late 1600s. We have no evidence that this clearing once held a structure, but it just feels right. We are planning on hunting the entire clearing, around the large trees, and along the stone walls. We have permission to follow the wall onto a neighbors property as well. We expect to find some relics, and we hope for some old coins, but how would you hunt an area like this for caches, besides the obvious, like inside the stone walls?? I have never attempted a hunt on an area this old, just local parks and schools. What would you look for, and how would you hunt it?? Any info, tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. I plan on posting some pics of the area, and of any first day finds next weekend. Thank you all!!

F

Floater

TK . I have Privy hunted some old sites and also found some old homesite areas in the Northeast and in Colorado when i would hunt deer. I think you do have a homesite? by the sounds of your description. You need to place yourself in the shoes of a builder and look at the area and say this is where the house goes this is where the well goes and this is where I will sit and contempolate life as we know it. ( The Privy) You need to look for slight depressions and also vegetation that grows faster or more abundant than other areas.I would definitely start at the entry or break in the wall and walk Parallel to the other boundary wall maintaining a center? position relative to both side walls. This will determine a field of finds and you can map this from the center and work your way to each wall from this center point,then make your own conclusions of what the area is or was. Let us know how you are making out. Good Luck and lets see some Pics. of the site. This also could have been an outbuilding or barn section. how wide is the break in the wall or entry section.?HH

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget to also picture in your mind what what there during that time too, not what is there now. Some folks hid stuff near trees as it was a good landmark, but if the tree was not there at the time then it would be a wasted effort to search it.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Treasurekidd, So you want to find a cache! Get a 3 foot probe and check out the deeper sounds. Forget the stuff less then 10 inches. Now your treasure hunting. If you want to coin shoot do it another time. This is the way to check out open ground. Monk

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I never would have though to look for the fast growing patches of plants, but it sure makes sense. We plan on starting around the wall that surrounds the "homesite" and the giant trees just outside the wall, and fanning out from there. This area is big enough that, with the time we both have available, could take months to search properly. I am going to bring the digital with me, so I will definatly post some pics of the site, and hopefully some finds Sunday or Monday night. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your experience!

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why start with a cache hunt?

If you go all metal you will be able to locate most of the structurs if any or any hotspots they may exist. Look for a cellar hole or any areas and go from there. You would be surpised with the areas that you can come across in the woods, especially near the walls.

Arch

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Draw a diagram of the area, including walls & other structures, trees, etc., there now. Mark each find on the diagram as you go, study it a bit between your trips there, and you will get a better idea of what was there, and a better sense of where to start next time out. Are you sure the wall didn't/ doesn't surround a cemetery? Are there similar walls on other property nearby? What was their purpose? I would have thought that the historical society would have given you some idea of what the walls were for. Good hunting!
Nine out ten who say they will post pics here, never seem to follow through, I hope you aren't one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread