How would YOU hide a cache?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
The time is 1970, and you have access to the general technology of the day (IE. metal detectors, but not GPS)

You have 1lb of gold to hide.

You want to be able to find it later, and you expect the area to change naturally (trees, rocks, etc. IE. "20 paces SW from the old oak tree" is no good.).

Maps don't count, too much reliance on something that might burn up, rot away, get stolen, etc.

For the sake of this we will assume nothing will be built over the top of it.

How would you do it?

(The reason I post this is because I was making a booksafe the other day, and thinking of Beekrock's house hunt, and I realized there are alot of places and ways to hide things that I haden't ever really thought of.)

If it was me I would probably triangulate markers I knew wouldn't move, like USGS map markers. But how to keep a record I wouldn't forget about over time (or forget how to decipher) is a toughie.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so what are you planning to hide or what are you looking for? ;D
Eliminating 20 paces SW from the old oak tree eliminates the way most caches are put down IMO.

Find a large landmark boulder or tree. Wait till sunset and look for where sun is placed in sky. Be on opposite side of object at sunset so object is between you and sun. Pick any spot on that side of object. Dig a 3 foot hole. Place a solid rock at base of hole. Place object into hole. Refill dirt. Kick leaves
and natural things on top of area. Make it look like no one was ever there. Get 200 ball bearings like used in a slingshot and bury 1'-2' apart iin a straight line but triangular pattern about 30-50' from target.
The point of triangular pattern points to guess where? 180 degrees in opposite direction of hole.
I could go on and on but you get the idea I"m sure....

assumes a decent memory and at least able to get back into general area. As far as I know, no regular detector with any size coil will go to 3' on small objects. 1lb of gold does not take up that much space
and has a small footprint. A two-box is a different story.

Purpose of ball bearings is two-fold. One) it will help you find hole if you have a really bad memory using a MD. Two) if someone MDing does come along and find the ball bearings - I figure after about the 150th ball bearing they'll give up and move on to greener territory. All except Jeff of Pa! haha
If you think ball bearings is just a liability - then omit. You could use USGS map markers the same way here etc.

Like all things metal - if it's buried it can be found but the odds against are considerable. Several intelligent assumptions are being made here. We'll see what other come up with... Good luck!

M

mercypa

The best place to hide anything is were everyone can see it.Nobody expects people to leave anything out in the open.Take one pound of gold and turn it into something that your child would bring home from school and display it with thier other art projects.I doubt it very much that anyone who comes to your house would give it a second look.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm just looking to brainstorm ideas.

Yes maps and # of paces are the "usual" ways, but what about the ones we don't really think of.

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
I found $6700.00 dollars in 20's and 50's in a cookie tin in the attic of my house. After talking to the realtor ( a close friend) he started laughing and said he wondered if there was any more money in the house but never looked in the attic. He explained that the old man that died in the house left over 100k in cash in the house that was willed to his daughter. She found money in every room of the house, in furniture, coffee cans, books,. I found the 6700 pure accident, while wiring a ceiling fan. It was buried in the insulation exactly 10 ceiling joist from the entrance.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
This has always intrigued me. I read a lot of stories about exotic, crytpic methods used by what were basically simple, uncomplicated folk in the storage of their monies. Human nature just isn't that complicated, is it? You want to stash some runaway or rainy day money. Now consider the times your living in, depending on what period the stash is assumed to be laid down. Are you really gonna exact a toll on yourself to recover your grab and go money? I wouldn't but then I'm as dumb as the day is long.

That said, most of the caches I've known of come from demolition crews. Two equipment operators got enough cash to buy themselves new Dodge Rams when the second floor of a house they were knocking down started raining paper money. Another crew putting in a playground here in town thought they found a fountain of money when their trenching tool started throwing silver dollars up. Both of these were simple stashes, one more recent than the other. Many other such stories come out of the backyards of neighboorhoods all over America where the cache is usually a tin or jar, not a huge sum but more than enough for most of us humble beings to revel in should we find it. I like Dell's example, one man finding multiple caches over his life, didn't add up to a bazillion, but tell him that! Everyone you actually find is a bonanza. Who would smirk at a jug of old Morgans, coronets, quarter eagles or even Indian Heads? Not me.

Remember, one week before Roosevelt decided gold currency was invalid a run on the banks resulted in over 6000 bank collapses across the country and 15% of all the known gold coins to disappear from circulation. That's a LOT of gold still out there, put down by someone living in simpler times with a need to recover it quickly should they need to move on.

T

The Rock

I would count off say 10 feet off the corner off my property on the property line then
count 10 feet in put it in the ground at three feet in a small box (a hard wood one) drill a small hole in it
put a rusty pipe in it so i could add to it.
and I'm not a big fan of banks :)

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
I would keep it simple like lowbatt says,i would just burry it in the landscaping or in the garden
that way when im digging i am not drawing attention!but that is if i wanted to burry it ,and i wouldnt,i would probably put it in a non connected heating vent,in the basement so i would have quick access to it or on top of the basement concrete wall where the joists sit on top and hide it behind false 2x10 panels so it would blend in!or in my secret room??or for the bst spot i would mount that gold in the tire of that old car that my wife has been waiting for me to restore,it doesnt run and is in a million pieces!seems to me since that would be the last place someone would find me it would be the last place to look!LOL

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
NO ONE ever forgets their birthday. Use those numbers for your measurements and you can always get back to the spot from your landmark. Exanimo, SS

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
For small amounts = ANYWERE. However LARGE amounts buried are often times ment to stay down awhile, often longer then the one burying it! These are the ones that may have maps left to heirs or those intended. Plus if people thought a person buried $. The 1'st place thought to look is there property, to say nothing about if the property should be sold in mean time, making access difficult. Take large amounts were there will always be access. = A STATE PARK, It may blow your mind to know just how many may have done just that. Monk 8)

D

Diane L.

Back In the old days Farmers would hide money in the cement corner posts and along fences! ..where I live they are a few but you have to ask permission,Gardens? where used also,Old cars, they would put the money in gas tanks and get it out when needed before junking them or just leave them there. I heard stories of found money in cars tanks in junk yard. Under porch cement blocks,In the walls of buildings..used them like a bank deposit place. In a safe in the basement cooler in the wall of a house basement. In the Fire place above your head where you pull to close the smoke off.Safes in walls,In books that are hollowed out.Don't come hear our Neighbors know more about us then we do and they are home 20-20!Kids hide drugs/etc in the walls of stone building then replace the stone.So this you might try.Don't do though what I said!Stone walls in the driveway and decor of your home..This they did in the Castles of the olden days when there were nights in shining armer! We used to take beer at the lake and tie it on a rope so the next day it would be cold when we opened it..Note! We found them also empty and put back in place with sand in them he! he! This is true also!I a machine that you would use but it's insides where taken out now it holds your treasure.
In a hollow old tree was a good spot I was told.Secret spot in a publicity sign for your house or business at home.In bottles, stuffed dolls,Gosh I can go on and on.If you don't have to Berry it outside put it in a place that you look at everyday with a letter reminding you what it is and why it's there.P.S. If this is stolen gold I would not be talking like this here you are probably being read by FBI/CIA/POLICE that are looking for a burglary suspect.If I was an detective this would be one of my watch sights for stupid Burglars.And they do not have to go through heck to find out where you are doing this internet message.Just to let you know he!he! No insults meant for you! Personally.... I would not think of this stuff..I don't steal..I put it in a fund and watch it get bigger or a C.D. thats if you can do it without being ask where you got that loot/gold? from ect!...I don't have enough money to by good toilet paper to blow my nose, but thats life! Ya! and when you think your not being watched your wrong.. Good luck!P.S There probably checking me out with this information, I gave you right now!And it's probalby helping them with some other case? there investigating for ideas......Cool! I hope I am helping them! 8) ;D

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Go back to my posting under todays finds "old Barns" ( read my second posting) thats one way they did it.
HH Bob.B

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
It is so strange to think that people used to bury or hide their money. I was talking with my mother about this the other day and she told me of how here Grandfather had buried over $100,000 in the yard on his farm. When he died they had the whole family digging everywhere and never found it. I was hoping she could remember where the house was, but it has been long torn down. Even if I knew where the farm was I have a Geo Magnetometer that would cover alot of ground quickly and I could go back and dig promising targets.

Just more proof that there are riches to be found. Wish I could find some!

I would guess that most people buried things like this near trees and fence lines. Just my 2 cent.

Robert in SC

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Id hide it in a tree. old wood pecker hole or something like that. worked for poncho via

taylor

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2004
Undoubtedly there are millions of ways to hide valuables.
However the method used by an individual or group can be as diverse as the circumstances in which they find themselves at the time they feel the need to hide or bury their loot.

Taylor.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
A word of caution to all would be money stashers.? A favorite story of my mother's ( now 78 years old ).? Her uncle in Australia, a greek business owner and non believer in banks, stashed money in an interior wall of his house for about 30 years.? This was to provide a comfortable retirement in his golden years.? Upon opening the wall to recover the money he discovered that mice had reduced what would have been a buttload of money into useless confetti.? ?:'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread