How would you tackle and old logging camp / RR site?

northwoods

Feb 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK - Here's what I got. An 1870-1910s camp, which I believe to be a logging camp and RR loading area. There are several foundations and a cement wall. There is about 2 acres of open field that has a bunch of iron and junk in it. The main foundation is loaded with nails and junk. There is a dirt road that crosses between the camp and a RR grade. There is an old apple orchard behind the foundations.

How would you attack this? I have bounced around a bit, and have found some cool stuff - 1890s tools and ax heads, an 1895 Canadian Large Cent, some wagon parts, etc. The road has given up some horse shoes and wagon parts but no coins. I looked a bit in the orchard and found only junk. The foundation is tough sledding, mostly crap. I have a White's DXL with the 9.5 stock and a 14" round coil.

I am thinking about gridding this and see what I get, but that could take all summer. Where to start? Any ideas?

homestead hunter

Jan 12, 2013
St. Ignatius Montana
Detector(s) used
whites spectra V3i
whites gold master
cobra beach magnet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find the most likely source of water, check most likely trail areas, to get to the water supply. While on the path look for large rocks, trees or something that sticks out, check these because sometimes they hid things along the way in order to not create new paths. Have fun hunting, also if there was a porch check under or in front of the foundations.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Northwoods,

If it was a decent logging camp/town- the local library will definately have some information on it. If you have a name of the site, mill, or operations owner- an internet search or two might provide a map of the site if you dig around enough.

No matter where it is- if it was a hub of activity- there will be a Railroad Depot site. If you can map out or determine where the tracks were- the depot on one side or the other will be the best source of good relics. Once the depot is located- try to establish where the comissary or general store was. Tends to be good coinage there. Logging towns are great locations- It's sometimes very hard to look at a no-nothing spot in the woods or fields that has nothing modern showing- and see what was at one time a bustling village of several thousand people and dozens of buildings, trains, etc.

Some othe spots I've hunted had a full complement of ammenities like- 3 story hotels, swimming pools, dance pavilions, movie theaters, horse raceing tracks, baseball fields, etc... All just barren pine woods now....

PEACE
MD Pickering Depot.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread