How’d You Like to See The Oldest Coin I Ever Found?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like how the grass is flat after 3 months of snow packing. The great thaw has occurred, turf is in perfect hunt and plug mode.
Pounded a new permission, guys lawn was loaded with coins, mostly wheats and a few silvers..old nickels too.
366C194F-9DDD-4468-80FD-FC084799A898.jpeg
Also got onto a previous ok, got deep with the Maxx, and wait, what?

Ok, so it’s not a coin, but a token....a Hard Times Token!:headbang: 1834! I don’t see a hole in it at all, so fuggedaboudit.

Never expected to find one, hard enough time for me to find a LC.
255284BF-93F0-4052-A073-A36192E1A4A7.jpeg72D66D61-6C3D-4C45-95D6-A5C892D9E211.jpeg

Finally, I squeaked out a few IHP’s all green and pretty.... but there a secret mixed in the stash.

One old Indian was very crusty, didn’t make an effort to ID a date for a week. Get my toothpick out.... 186.....4.....!!! Omg, be careful.
Yup 1864 ....WITH THE “L”. It’s there on the ribbon, might be the best coin I’ve ever found.

6E14C8D3-CCDD-4BA0-98F5-27CB125B0E6C.jpeg

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 42
Nice job Dave. That is a nice batch of coins and tokens. Congrats on that '64 L.

Been a long time since I've hunted a yard that loaded. Congrats

very nice. possibly the first 1864 'L' I've ever seen posted

Nice finds Dave. What'd you do move up north too? Last I knew, you were in sw Fl. I thought.

Yes my wife and I lost our ever-loving minds and moved to a place where people look at us sideways, and ask us what’s wrong with us.

Yes my wife and I lost our ever-loving minds and moved to a place where people look at us sideways, and ask us what’s wrong with us.

You get that when there's 14 inches of snow on the ground and you're metal detecting in a Estero Island Speedo.

What a great bunch of old coins! Beauties! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Not sure if I'll ever beat my oldest [1835 large cent] but always fun to try !

You get that when there's 14 inches of snow on the ground and you're metal detecting in a Estero Island Speedo.

Silly man, I haven’t worn that in years.:laughing7:

Very nice collection Dave

The only hard times token I have found also has a hole in the middle about the size of yours. I guess they are well named, not only for their origin but also for how they were treated!

The only hard times token I have found also has a hole in the middle about the size of yours. I guess they are well named, not only for their origin but also for how they were treated!

Oh yea!... there is a little hole, now I see it lol...
I’ve guess I’ve always been aware of these tokens, but after finding it, and reading and researching....
They truly have a fascinating story.

Awesomeness everywhere- Congrats!!

That is a very cool token, even with the hole you can't see. Very nice IHP too. Congrats on all the great finds.

Looks more like a good times token now lol Great job glad to see it...

Nice job Dave!! I don’t see a hole either, I just see the scratch that goes all the way threw cuz you nailed it with your shovel (; gotta be more careful kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back