Howda 1850 Black Powder twin bore pistol

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
:thumbsup: Yes went out metal detecting last weekend and was hunting around this old house that was out in the bush (country) on a farm, it was one of the first houses built in that area here in South Africa, anyway when I hunt around these old houses, I always go to where the fire place was in the house, was searching around the entrance to the fire place that was made from old sand stone rocks, I even had a look up the chimney, because sometimes people used to hang things up there to keep safe, they even knocked a nail into the stone work as well.

While seaching I found some old nails and wire, but then I started to scan the outer slabs of sand stone rock and picked up this small sound from the machine, could not work out what it was, however once I had cleared away the loose dirt and sand that had spread over this area, I still got the signal from the machine, thus out came my old screw driver and I tried to lift and move the slab away, it did move slightly and then I managed to get my spade edge in the gap and then this slab of rock came loose, under the rock was this small compartment and lying inside wrapped in some stained oil type old cloth was this pistol.

It must have been lying there for many years, as you can see there are a few rust pit marks in the metal, but due to the dry conditions of this area, and the darkness and lack of air, these factors have preserved this gun very well.

After giving it a good clean up, this is what I found below.
246334333b317552fc1094326876eb146bfc2924e322504922845fd2a348b432a781aa84.jpg

004223587bfbda8a08bcfbaf93aae5b63f31c4255b5f2349f9ade256daf70c2012915ea9.jpg

I have managed to do some research on it and have found out that it was in fact used as a saddle gun on a horse to hunt Tigers and Elephants, it is also a smooth bore and the action of the percussion hammers still work. I will attempt to fire it one day, just have to get some caps , powder and balls for it.

I am going back to this area tomorrow to see what else I can find, I have heard of people finding a lot of items around these old fire places, this particular area, I have been told that there is this old lady who says that her family many years ago, buried some valuable items and she is still looking for them. Will try and contact her to find out more about this.

Well have an excellent weekend, here in South Africa , we have a public holiday and thus nice to have the extra time off from work. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O'Man! great looking find. Who's the maker, Dutch,English, French, South African? Charlie

Attachments

• th_smiley_thumbs_up.gif
    th_smiley_thumbs_up.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,004

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, have the gun checked out by a competent gunsmith to be sure it is safe to fire and be sure that you use only black powder to fire it. Mike the bore and get a ball that is slightly undersize. Then you need some pillow ticking to lubricate and fit around the ball so it fit tight in the bore. I'd start with about 40 grains of FFG black powder that would go into the muzzle first. Wrap the ball in the pillow ticking and get it started in the bore, then cut the ticking off even with the end of the barrel so the lead ball is exposed on the muzzle side. Take the little ramrod on the gun or any other one you might have and shove the ball down on top of the powder, being sure there is no air space between the ball and the powder. Cap the nipple with the gun on half cock, which is supposed to be the safest way. But don't go off half cocked now, which by the way is how the phrase came about. Pull the hammer all the way back to fire it. Be sure to wear safety glasses during the whole operation. I'm sure they used much more than 40 grains of black powder back then, but often black powder wasn't as pure as it is now and they had all kinds of inconsistencies in ignition of same. You can wash the gun with hot water and a detergent and then oil well or I use Windex Spray in the blue bottle and it works just as good without all the mess. You may know all of this but I'll bet there are many forum members who have no idea how it works, so I am posting for their benefit. I agree, Banner! Monty

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I am in love. Can I have that? I think you can mail it straight to my door since it's so old. Simply breathtaking. What a beautiful and brutal last line of defense.
This nice of a find should be up top I think. It's in beautiful condition.

Please post more pictures.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
What an incredible find! :o Banner all the way!

i would STRONGLY caution against EVER firing the piece. First, the barrel might fail - particularly since the pistol has been in the ground for more than a century and a half. I would not feel safe firing such an old firearm even if it had sat for that time in an attic, much less a dug specimen. An exploding barrel could kill or injure the shooter, as well as destroying the collector value of this lovely piece.

Exploding firearms are no joke. I know of one person who was killed firing a homemade pipe cannon with black powder, and another who was badly injured placing improperly high loads in a black powder rifle. It simply is not worth the risk.

Moreover, the value of antique guns can be hurt by shooting them. My view is that if one wants to fire a black powder gun, buy a repro for that purpose, and conserve the original.

And again, BANNER!

artorius

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely concurr with Artorius , firing this is a no win proposition - I too vote Banner ! Argentium.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great job :thumbsup:

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ban ban ban...ban ban banner! (sung to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys)

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
HOW BOUT THAT, YOU FOUND A DOUBLE SHOT OF TROUBLE---- LOL :thumbsup:

GREAT JOB

MLHUDSON

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I agree, do not ever fire.
that oil preserved it pretty good,
if thats trully the case? then yes! BANNER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread