Howdy everybody, and a question!

Markypie

Mar 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone, I'm Mark, and I am new to the forums. I have been treasure hunting for years, coin rolls, roadside tools, coinstars, and wheelweights. I got a Garret 350 as a retirement gift, but no one will even entertain the idea of me metal detecting their property. How do you go about getting permission? I never even get to explain that I will be very considerate, not leave an unsightly mess, etc. before I get shut down. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any insights y'all can provide!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look for properties that are rentals- those folks rarely care if you dig up 'their' yard. Then it comes down to being presentable and harmless appearing. That's the hard part.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! I think getting permission is about the same as a realtor cold calling people for business. It's hard but everybody says just keep at it and be professional. Always be professional. I'm not a people person so I don't often get permission. The only smiling faces I see in upstate Ny are when I'm caught hauling mountains of garbage out of the only local park Im allowed to hunt. I find lots of junk, I think they like me.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site! As Beezly stated, just like a cold call. I would add that you dress as neatly as possible so you are more likely to have someone open the door that be afraid as you appearance looks a little shady. I am not a good person with this either and prefer to find places that are open hunt first then resort to asking or finding friends who know someone and can "network" me into meeting and set up a ask. Check the laws for the municipalities around to see what their laws are for hunting and if nothing is stated and the places are not marked, you may want to try hunting. If you ask first, you run the risk of someone who is not sure or does not understand saying "No" just to be sure that they cover their end and really don't have to. Research is always a plus to finding hunt sites. Good Luck.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is you very first post Markypie - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
M

Markypie

Mar 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for the pointers, and no I'm not in Austin. I'm just South of Fort Worth. My motto is "Treasure is where you find it!"

Here's what I use the wheelweights for:

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be volunteering too much info towards your permissions. Keep your intro short, like 30 seconds or so. Don't mention the word 'digging' or 'treasure'. I get four out of five permissions that way.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a heavy hitting round for sure. wish i had something to blast those out of. instead i'm stuck with rifles and shotguns.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread