Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard, If the machine works, why not use it!

OP
OP
Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Rural Ray County - Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. My interest in metal detecting recently peaked when I discovered that on one of the properties I hunt there is an 1832 campsite of the Clay County Militia which from there made several forays in pursuit of Indian hostiles from the Blackhawk War. The land owner is a good friend and gave me his hearty support to find it . . . easier said than done. I did some initial hunting but given that I was using a detector I was soon overwhelmed by relatively small area it is located in. Any tips on how to go about finding it? Thanks

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site Missouri Mule . My dads side of the family are originally from Joplin .

You have a very special oppurtunity to hunt an EXCELLENT site . If you can afford to upgrade to a brand name detector of better quality & function , it will save you alot of time and frustration . Don't forget to get a good pinpointer . From what I've read in Relic Hunting books , you will be looking for stone fire rings and the charcoal remnants . The landscape will probably be very different ( trees , fields & such ) than in 1832 . Remember , most campsites will have easy access to fresh water . Try to find old photos of the area you'll be searching . Some Universities & Historical Societies will have them . Good luck & HH .

OP
OP
Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Rural Ray County - Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank you all for the welcome. I have been considering upgrading to a better detector. As far as this site goes, I have several historic sources that pinpoints it down to where a particular road crosses the creek on the property. Since the road bed has changed a few times the exact crossing point is uncertain. The site was chosen because there was high point close to it for guards to keep watch. My problem are the trees, lots of them and huge. It was estimated that there were about 100 militia men and several Indian scouts camped there for about 2 weeks. From what I have been able to research the site has not been found.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureNet.JPG

Top Member Reactions