austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I will add, bein 1/8 Texan, that Texas does a way more better job than most states in preserving and tryin to educate folks about the state's history. I do believe they whitewash some of it and put a spin on other parts of it, but they do care about it.

You are so nice and polite. Whitewash, put a spin on other parts? You know full well that we texans lie our butts off constantly about everything in Texas. There ain't two Texas history books that contain the same material or agree with each other. Bowie's skirmish with the Indians has 3 separate historical markers in different places. The old cave of gold story changes each time I hear it. That cave is on flat limestone, up a dry creek, on a hill, on a mountain, near one of 50 towns, has silver in it, gold, gold and silver, skeletons, artifacts, boxes of coins, bars of treasure, chests of treasure, diamonds, indian ghosts, spanish ghosts, rattlesnakes and now ufo bases. When I was teaching I'd have students ask me about the escape tunnel from the alamo to San Pedro Park. Well, you dug down through soft ground, under a water ditch, under the San Antonio river, then through solid limestone for at least 3-4 miles in the 1718-1836 period. Don't think so. But they never believed me cause grandpa's grandpa and his friend followed it all the way one time and there was treasure inside. Bowie's knife, Crockett's gun, gold...Yeah, we tell it like we want it. We not only whitewash it, we apply several coats while putting the spin on. We do preserve it, but kids are primarily taught by people who don't know the history and I have personally witnessed a teacher teaching kids that John Wayne's Alamo movie was the true version.( I also once saw a coach use a Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movie to teach about Africa). But again, you are so nice...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread