limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How's Cairo For Civil War Finds

Has anyone ever done any research into the Cairo Civil War past? Reading all the different books about the war in the west and Cairo pops up again and again. Ironclad this, Grants HQ that. Surely the area has been hunted to death but has anyone got 1st hand accounts? I have never been down there but the more I study the more I hear how bad the neighborhoods are? Is it worth heading down there to plonk around or will I just get mugged and have my detector stolen? Also, what is the access like. Are most of the historic areas protected or is it somewhat easy to get permission? Thanks!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How's Cairo For Civil War Finds

Well Cairo is in "sever economic depression". Probably not the safest place...

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods

Hi limegold!! I just got back from S.IL april 2nd.Cairo was one of my destinations.I'm born, bred & raised in Chicago, and that town scared the crap outta me & my son.We turned around and went back the way we came about halfway thru the town.The previous poster was correct about the severe depression there.It never recovered from the '92 recession obviously.When we got back onto I-57 and we were not on it more than 5 minutes and a local town copper pulled us over(I thought STATE POLICE had jurisdiction on Interstate Hiways!) for gett this:"Your chest strap has to be over your shoulder, not under your armpit, sir." I was polite, etc...so, he told me when he gave me back my licence that he won't give me a ticket for a burned out bulb on my rear plate.Guess he thought I was a drug-runner or sumpthin! :icon_jokercolor: No wonder visitor counts are down yearly at state parks, etc...across the country! It says on Wikipedia that the park is owned by the City of Cairo, fwiw.This was the primary reason we went because I figured it was a sleeper, and we'd have no worry about having our detectors taken away.stvn.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

I'd love to hunt Cairo, but prefer doing the hunting, not being hunted.
Yep, POW trains went through there, big riverboats full of people, soldiers and goods.
Now, you pass through there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread