Huffaker, abrader stone and unidentified piece.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Had just enough time this weekend to slip out to one of my favorite haunts. Found a couple of nice points along with this interesting abrader stone. Also, I'm not certain just what the fragment is. It is a piece of a larger, circular item. It also has several small holes, all similar in size. I now have two such items. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Composite(1).JPG
    Composite(1).JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 462
  • in situ(1).GIF
    in situ(1).GIF
    816.1 KB · Views: 462
  • AbraderLateral(1).GIF
    AbraderLateral(1).GIF
    354.6 KB · Views: 604
  • AbraderAxial1(1).JPG
    AbraderAxial1(1).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 410
  • RndPiece2(1).JPG
    RndPiece2(1).JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 401
  • RndPiece1(1).JPG
    RndPiece1(1).JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice finds Doc, love the Huffaker. We used to find several of the perforated pottery disks on Wash'i'ta focus sites out in western OK. Nobody knows for sure what they used them for but a few popular theories are strainers or game pieces, more than likely the latter.

Here is an online free web-book that I thought you may like to check out, if you haven't already(just click on the book image). It's called Oklahoma Indian Artifacts - by Robert Bell. Bell was one of my heroes, even though I never got a chance to meet him personally. He sure done a lot for archaeology. http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/OKArtifacts/enter.htm

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Thanks Matt,
I've actually wondered if these pieces might not function as some sort of strainer or sieve. Are these typically of the same size? Indeed, the two I have found were off tributaries of the Wash*ita, north Wash*ita county off of Boggie creek. Very common for Caddoan estab.
As always Matt, I appreciate your comments.
MM

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc the abrader stone is quite the find. Matt sounds right about the holes in the pottery. I have found lids with holes in them and thought the same thing. Wow your dirt is bright :read2: Congratulations on a good hunt sir !

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thanks Pic, Matt, Buck, and Mountain man for the comments. An interesting twist to the story: I've tromped over this same field for the past several years and have found nothing older than the Wichita inhabitants dating around AD 1200 to 1500. Most of the points are Fresno, Wash*ita, Huffaker, Harrell, etc. This past Sunday, a man walks onto the filed whom I've never seen before (and who probably didn't have permission), but a nice guy, so we strike up conversation. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out this large point and says he just stumbled onto it after about ten minutes in the field. This piece no doubt of an earlier period. I know it sounds a bit greedy, but boy I sure would have liked to have stumbled onto this little jewel before he did. I just don't seem to pick up much of the older stuff. Nonetheless, I certainly can't complain about the day I had. PS Tennessee, you're right about the red dirt. My wife reminds me of this everytime I through my dirty socks in with something white.

Attachments

• Point91210.jpg
    Point91210.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 313

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread