Huge crotal bell, LC, barber dime

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man it's been tough sledding. With the heat we've had im not as inclined to put in long hours, and the dry soil hasn't been helping. Plus at the same time ive pretty much beat my go-to spots into submission. Add it all up and it's been quite a few hunts since anything noteworthy found its way under my coil.

I hit up a site that dates to 1920. But clearly there was some earlier activity. First find was this big crotal bell. Unfortunate that it's not intact but oh well

image.jpg

Next target was a 11-46 at 7-8" on the depth meter. Had a good feeling about that kind of signal but with the way things have been going I wouldn't have been surprised by just a deep clad quarter. Out popped a copper disk...third LC on the year. A few minutes later I got a one-way dime signal with at least 6" of depth. Predicted a coin with some iron trash and that's what it turned out to be

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool relics! Are there any markings on the crotal bell?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the largie. Definitely still some stuff hiding there. :thumbsup:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. That site could be hiding some 19th century silver. Got any maps that show what was there

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Really nice Barber and LC! Congrats and HH

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Murray. I didn't forget about our hunt either - my machine is at a "spa" in Florida getting serviced;)

I bet you can get that crud off if you tried. I suspect the condition underneath isn't too bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread