Huge rock i dug a while back

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what this rock is. It is transparent and waxy looking and feels waxy too. Lot of square shapes in it. Weight 19.83 lbs.Tell me what you tnet guys and gals think it might be. Thanks. From rock collection Sep 27 2014 033.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 034.JPG From rock collection Sep 27 2014 035.JPG

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome specimen G!!

I agree that it's Quartz. I'd check into those inclusions and make sure none of it's Gold! You're in that area. I have some smaller specimens just like yours that have Gold inclusions. -Luke

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz, rock crystal considering the clarity, is a pretty good bet. The iron stains are just in the fractures. When smooth like that can feel waxy however~~

You may not want to do it but try chipping a bit of it and see if it flakes like glass. Reason being is your description of it feeling waxy and the rectangular fracturing indicate to me it could be a massive piece of calcite as well. Massive calcite does not necessarily have to have planar cleveages like smaller crystals and when chipped will produce grainy flakes instead of glass like chips. Calcite will chip fairly easily~ quartz wont. Use a sharpened point.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions