Huge Silver kind of Day... 1898 0 Morgan

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge Silver kind of Day... 1898 '0' Morgan

Hi all you shooters, been awhile since I posted, but where I live the weather has very dry, and the soil crazy, and the digging has been hard...so

Today I got out after work for a short hunt and it was a good one:super: I was detecting a yard that I had a hunch has been hit a long time ago because I had only found 1 wheat up until I found one hard to find target, a 1898 'O' Silver Dollar. not too far off the driveway, I get 1-37 type of numbers on my Etrac... which could say a lot of thing, but not what I was expecting. as one who has found a few Half's the last few years, this was one I wanted. but, I had no idea it would come like this.

It was about 6 inches deep, right under a nasty 2 inch root which was kicking my rear........There she was, flopped up with some loose dirt (I put a scratch on her,:ranting:), out of the hole. at first, I was dumb struck.....thinking maybe it was one of those Mexican Peso's or something, that wing sticking up left me clueless...lol, ah DUH! it wasn't until I picked her up did I notice that it was a Silver Dollar, and then I could make out her head, it was a Morgan! I sent the pics to a fellow shooter and he said what was the mint mark. after a bit of ice and Diet Coke, it was clear, that I had found a 1898 'O' Morgan Silver Dollar. what an awesome find, and I thought it might not ever come, but she's mine now. here is a short video and the pics, Thanks for looking, DirtDiga
30rrz1z.jpg

2r23wk0.jpg

Upvote 27

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow congratulations on your well deserved morgan dollar!!! I still dream of the day I find one or even a half!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My very favorite coin! I never expect to find one of those, so I just resolve myself to buying them when the price is right. Watching your video, the train whistle reminded me of the time I was sitting at an active crossing at Sooner Rd and I 240. This dimwit woman decided she didn't have to wait in traffic and went out around cars in front of her and around the arms of the barrier. Guess she didn't expect the policeman to be one of the cars in front of her lol. Look on her face was priceless.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that morgan silver dollar.It is a beautiful chunk of silver.Wow this is the second morgan dollar posted this week.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the overwhelming majority of us on TNet, the only way we get a silver dollar is to buy one. I've found a number of halves, but had to go to coin shows to find a Morgan.

As a tribute to all of us who wish we could find one, I'm enamored this morning and voting banner!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome dig. :occasion14: It's a coin that most dream of finding. Congrats for checking this one off your bucket list. :notworthy: Did you get any sleep last night? :dontknow: That's one of those coins I'd take to work to show off to my peers.:occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My very favorite coin! I never expect to find one of those, so I just resolve myself to buying them when the price is right. Watching your video, the train whistle reminded me of the time I was sitting at an active crossing at Sooner Rd and I 240. This dimwit woman decided she didn't have to wait in traffic and went out around cars in front of her and around the arms of the barrier. Guess she didn't expect the policeman to be one of the cars in front of her lol. Look on her face was priceless.
Congrats on your Morgan Looknforgold. To you Old dude - Keep looking & you will find one. We never expect to dig Morgans, & I now have 3 of them (never expecting to dig them ). My last 2 came about 5 minutes apart from the same area. They will show up when you least expect them to.

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.. the sleeping was light, lol. I kept waiting for those numbers to be higher when I did find my first Silver Dollar, if I ever was to find one, like 1-41,42 on my machine. it hit that once I got it out of the hole, but you never know. I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes.. the sleeping was light, lol. I kept waiting for those numbers to be higher when I did find my first Silver Dollar, if I ever was to find one, like 1-41,42 on my machine. it hit that once I got it out of the hole, but you never know. I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

I'm one of the " It's never going to happen" and it's crazy to think that after swinging off and on for 45yrs that if did happen the air would be a little blue. Those 1-?? numbers have never produced a posable find yet from digging them up, but there's still hope. :)
Congrats on the great looking silver and liking the dirty pictures!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! I can't even imagine digging a silver dollar! Great Job!!! :hello2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the awesome find!!! Welcome to the silver dollar club!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:thats a peach !!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super find, congratulations

OP
OP
looknforgold

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find & great story!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a deep dark secret...I'm going to confess it on your thread. I've never found a dollar coin. Not even a clad....

My jealousy of that beautiful Morgan brought that out! Holy smokes I bet you're thrilled.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions