Huge sterling brooch

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything this big ever. It's signed on the back of it but I can't make out who it is. It's nearly the size of my hand and it was a dollar!

image-1481758368.jpg

image-1681773525.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! That's a big one.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm yours is MUCH different from that one man.
Yours is MUCH better.
I would "watch item" though to see what happens to that one.
How much does yours weigh ?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The house was pretty bad looking from the outside and I was shocked it was there at 10 o'clock in the morning but it was in a box with belts. It was one of those reactions like there's no way that thing silver... pick it up... yeah!!!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm yours is MUCH different from that one man. Yours is MUCH better. I would "watch item" though to see what happens to that one. How much does yours weigh ?

It's 70 grams. No dents, no problems. Do you think I should leave it tarnished her have it cleaned I think I'm going to try leaving it tarnished.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm no response... Seems to be the norm around here these days.

Takes a min, we just got 2 kids staying with us in foster care tonight for 2 weeks. A 12 month and a 24 month. Bedtime takes about two hours to get everyone settled down. Plus we have 3 of our own. I'm grateful for yard sales. It's the best alone time ever!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That is amazing, no matter what you paid for it and it's worth a goodly sum. Congratulations. Way to go...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...
Here is MY "general rule" when it comes to silver/sterling...
Modern & vintage - Clean (sells better)
Antique - Clean moderately... unless keeping it for self and you want to clean more.
If over 100 years old... do not clean it...
If over 100 years and is silver that is badly corroded... cleaning should done on professional level. I.E- electrolysis etc.

This piece should be cleaned... do not use a "paste" cleaner.

P.S. These "general rules" apply for ALL types of antiques in my book... not just silver.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takes a min, we just got 2 kids staying with us in foster care tonight for 2 weeks. A 12 month and a 24 month. Bedtime takes about two hours to get everyone settled down. Plus we have 3 of our own. I'm grateful for yard sales. It's the best alone time ever!

Your excused with honors... heh :)

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... Here is MY "general rule" when it comes to silver/sterling... Modern & vintage - Clean (sells better) Antique - Clean moderately over 100 years old... do not clean it. This piece should be cleaned... do not use a "paste" cleaner.

Alright. I'll take it to my jewelry guy. He has a steam cleaner. It's free makes it look new.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your excused with honors... heh :)

And maybe you should be too. You waited exactly 18 minutes before posting your rude retort. Maybe you should have waited 20? 25? Or maybe not everyone stays glued to the internet night and day and you should have given him a day or two. I know I hate being embarrassed on the internet, where everyone can see. Worse yet is when I embarrass myself.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL - it's why most of my posts are from midnight to 2AM!! My hubby and I are visiting my parents. We got 3 whole hours today, just the two of us......it was more like 3 separate hours (not) together. We hit the local antique store near my parents and literally saw each other long enough to go from one building to the next. It's crazy how liberating it was to not be worried who was where doing what....almost naked feeling. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread