Huh, well Ill be....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Huh, well I'll be....

Stopped on the way home and picked up 10 rolls of pennies, 10 rolls of nickels and 10 rolls of dimes. Skunked on the pennies and dimes, but the 5 year old found a '20 Buffalo in there. I'm pretty shocked. It's tied with a '20 wheatie the 7 year old found for the oldest CRH find we've made. We're about ~$180 into nickels and this is our first keeper. No war nickels so far.

No real monetary value, but I'm absolutely pumped that we found a Buffalo. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, Twitch. There is something very cool about finding a buffalo that's actually still in circulation. Makes me wonder where it's been, what it's bought and why no one has snatched it up yet! My first buffalo was not very old, 1937, but in fantastic shape, maybe BU, and I was thrilled (and still am) to have it. As far as warnics go, don't worry, they're easier to find than buffalo's, so it's just a matter of time before the 5 or 7 year old beat you to one. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Bad Wolf - You are indeed a seer of good things. I #$%^ you not, I bought $20 in nickels on the way home today and in the first roll I opened I popped out a '43-P. Pretty awesome. I'm now at exactly $200 nickels and have a '20 Buff and a '43-P Jeff to show for it. Pretty cool again.

Thanks for looking.

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love hunting nickels. So many good things to find. Always get excited over a buffalo nickel

I love nickels as well. My favorite semi-frequent finds (say, 2-3 in every $1000 or so) are high-end XF or BU early Jeffersons ('38 to the mid -50s). There's something very cool about finding a '40s nickel that's somehow made it into the present with a sharp strike, mint luster and partial steps on Monticello intact. It's like stepping back in time. Of course I like war nickels and buffaloes too, obviously, but war nickels are not as hard to find as these occasional BU specimens (even though they're typically worth more cash, admittedly) and the latter -- well, I've never found a buffalo in truly excellent condition. Still hope to.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Well this is crazy but Nickel-palooza continues. I picked up $50 in nickels on the way home today and found another Buffalo (this one is dateless, no mint mark). Less than half way through the $50, kid heading to bed so we'll hit the rest of it tomorrow or Friday. These nickels are growing on me. Really cool. Also found 3 pre-war Jeffersons so far but not keeping anything. Looking for 2009's as well but haven't found any. Dodeskaden - my 7 year old found a really nice '69-S which is, while not as old, inline with your comments above. We're going to keep it. I don't think it's a proof, but it's a very nice coin none the less.

Picked up some pennies too, had a '55-D ender. Found 4 wheats so far in the first 20 rolls, pretty normal for me.

Finished 2nd half box tonight as well. Ordered two from this bank, found 90-S, '03-S, and '01-S, all in good shape but clad. Also found a gold plated, Omaba-ized '09-D. Overall from this bank I've gotten 8 boxes and no silver. I have pulled these three proof, another proof commemorative, a handful of NICFs here and there, and two or three decent errors so I'm thinking it's not entirely dry. I'd like to see some silver but as long as they keep producing some peripheral keepers I suppose I'm still a buyer. I'm thinking 25 boxes and no silver and I'll move on to someone else. Still have a box from another source to go through.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Oh, and for what it's worth I think finding a recent proof 90%'er would be about as cool as it gets.

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Well this is crazy but Nickel-palooza continues. I picked up $50 in nickels on the way home today and found another Buffalo (this one is dateless, no mint mark). Less than half way through the $50, kid heading to bed so we'll hit the rest of it tomorrow or Friday. These nickels are growing on me. Really cool. Also found 3 pre-war Jeffersons so far but not keeping anything. Looking for 2009's as well but haven't found any. Dodeskaden - my 7 year old found a really nice '69-S which is, while not as old, inline with your comments above. We're going to keep it. I don't think it's a proof, but it's a very nice coin none the less.

Picked up some pennies too, had a '55-D ender. Found 4 wheats so far in the first 20 rolls, pretty normal for me.

Finished 2nd half box tonight as well. Ordered two from this bank, found 90-S, '03-S, and '01-S, all in good shape but clad. Also found a gold plated, Omaba-ized '09-D. Overall from this bank I've gotten 8 boxes and no silver. I have pulled these three proof, another proof commemorative, a handful of NICFs here and there, and two or three decent errors so I'm thinking it's not entirely dry. I'd like to see some silver but as long as they keep producing some peripheral keepers I suppose I'm still a buyer. I'm thinking 25 boxes and no silver and I'll move on to someone else. Still have a box from another source to go through.

You hit the nail on the head! I only ordered 2 boxes on nickels this week and I regret it. The 5 or so boxes I had before this week were packed with 2012 and 2013 full rolls. I'd say 90% of the boxes were new nickels. Made hunting quick! Lol. The 2 boxes this week have been all older nickels with a bunch of 39's 40's 41's and even one 42 which I didn't have before. Not silver but still cool. Soooo many late 40's and 50's. I really enjoy the nickels for some reason. I still get lots of halves(4 boxes last week) and dimes for the silver but nickels have that history. A few boxes ago I found my 1887 nickel. First one for me. I'm gonna order at least 6 this week to go through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread