Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing so many super finds lately I wasn't sure I should post. :)

Met up with a college girlfriend and hunted a playground near her house $1.40 in clad and a 1910 Wheatie. :) Also found our first token: Golf n Games (found by The Big Girl.) Next we went to what is allegedly the "oldest standing schoolhouse in Michigan" on some state land but encountered a large group of people and their horses/dogs there. We decided to wait for a less busy time and went to a nearby picnic area to search. Found lots of pull tabs, a few square nails, bottle caps, and more clad. I noticed a large group of lilacs as well as walnut trees and immediately thought "old homestead." We searched the area where we guessed the home might have been but didn't find much. Could spend more time there.

MDing with kids means frequent food/bathroom breaks so I'm sure we don't make as good time as some of you commandoes. While we didn't find any silver or the hoped for IH, we had a great time, good exercise, perfect weather, and lots of laughs. And tons of good pinpointing practice.

Found a different type of clad as well:GymnoCLADus dioecious seed pods
While these might be a common find down south, up here in MI these trees are pretty rare. We are on the northern edge of their range.

Best catch of the day was my camera shy adolescents caught horsing around. Engarde!

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IoniaApril07compress.JPG
    IoniaApril07compress.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 479
  • treasure07 114compress.jpg
    treasure07 114compress.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 485
  • treasure07 105compress.jpg
    treasure07 105compress.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 483
  • treasure07 116compress.jpg
    treasure07 116compress.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 480
  • treasure07 111compress.jpg
    treasure07 111compress.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say your finds were a whole lot better than mine this weekend. I hunted a popular swimming area for 2 hours. The place was so trashy. No lie I dug over 100 of the old pull tabs which shows as nickles on my ace, a handful of fishing weights, and 4 pennies, and one bullet. :-[ :'( :'(
I was very very sad!
Great pics u posted and sounds like ya'll enjoyed yourselves which is what is really important.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
It sure was a great weather day here in the great lakes region. I'm glad you posted, it makes me feel good when every find on the board is not silver. We'll have our day. glad you went out to enjoy it. Hope the kids had fun, looks like they did.

Rumblebelly

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
SOunds like you had a good day out there Mich, enjoying the weather and family and taking a shot at some treasure. I am glad you posted , nice photos and best of luck to you out there!

Smiles!
Bdoo

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think it's good for especially the new people to realize that not every day does one pull sitting Libertys, Barbers, and Mercs out. People are really posting the best of their finds and not most of the crap and junk they dig.

When I asked the kids if they'd go again they all said, "Yes!"

Forgot to add: Man, are those cruddy pennies hard to read the date on! It became the joke of the day how long it would take one of us gals to figure some of them out. Luckily I had a 12 YO daughter to help me. :) Maybe bring a loupe next time.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. A 1910 wheat is pretty darn old. You got me beat by 7 years in that catagory.
I am headed up to SW Michigan this Thursday to hunt a 1874 farmhouse. Are you near Edwardsburg?
-MM-

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking mighty dang good to me. Just getting out to enjoy the weather, finding "treasures" beneath your feet...no matter what the treasure may be, is a great day in my book. WTG!

HH
;) RR

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
The thrill is, you won't know what you will find until you get it out of the ground.
That makes for, anything dug up is exciting!!!!! ;D
You did very well!!! Congrats

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Congrats. A 1910 wheat is pretty darn old. You got me beat by 7 years in that catagory.
I am headed up to SW Michigan this Thursday to hunt a 1874 farmhouse. Are you near Edwardsburg?
-MM-

Thanks, MM. We are about an hour north of Edwardsburg. Looks like you'll be just north of the border. Good luck on your farm hunt and let us know what you find.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Michiganne said:
While these might be a common find down south, up here in MI these trees are pretty rare. We are on the northern edge of their range....

Ahem...

Being a dumb Kentucky redneck I don't know what those are. Can you give me a common country name instead of them college names?

Thanks

Burt

Apr 4, 2007
Buxy,
It's great to see all of the encouragement from other mdingers when you have what one might consider a "typical day"! It is rewarding to see that most everyone has "days like these". I was surprised to see that we were just one year shy of that elusive Indian Head penny, but I'm confident one day you'll make your goal. So when is then next session?

Have a wonderful day,

From one Ishkabible to another ;D

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
Michiganne said:
While these might be a common find down south, up here in MI these trees are pretty rare. We are on the northern edge of their range....

Ahem...

Being a dumb Kentucky redneck I don't know what those are. Can you give me a common country name instead of them college names?

Thanks

Burt

LOL Sorry, Burt Just trying to lend an air of mystery to the seeds. Figured they'd be "common as dirt" down your way. They are the seed pods of the Kentucky Coffeetree, named after your fair state. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread