curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been seeing this guy around and finally got some pictures...just found out it's a "Hummingbird Moth" & not a "clearwing" but I can't change the title for some reason, sorry. He sure is fast and "hummingbird" like, was lucky to get shot of the wing pattern.

FSCN9622.JPG FSCN9912.JPG FSCN9915.JPG

RSCN0030.JPG RSCN9917.JPG RSCN9919.JPG

RSCN9985.JPG FSCN1017.JPG FSCN1018.JPG

RSCN1020.JPG FSCN1153.JPG FSCN1154.JPG

RSCN9901.JPG ...this shot was a heartbreaker because it's blurred, a little bird came down to watch with me.:(

...and just wanted to add this sunset because of it's odd square corner... DSCN0371.JPG

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very good shots of the moth! I have seen them but not been able to get a good picture.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kat!! That critter looks like the old Japanese movie monster Mothra!! GEORGEOUS pictures as always and thanks for sharing!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the photo's. You are good with your camera.

I saw one of those things once and wondered what it was. Now I know. Thanks again. Great photo's.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone :santasmile:.....lol on the "Mothra" VERDE!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pictures! :thumbsup: Your moth is a "Sphinx" moth and is also called a ''Hawk'' moth.

-hummingbird-moth-print-doug-long.jpg

Here is a photo of the Common Clearwing Moth.

images.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kat, Those are fascinating. That clearwing looks like a crawdad with wings and no claws OD

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger....thank you for those pictures & name of the moth...nice name "Sphinx"...wonder how it got named that? And "Hawk" sounds a little dangerous, thought it only ate flower juice? ;) Guess I'll have to look it up.

:laughing7:...yeh it does look like that tamrock.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Awesome Captures!!...I recently learned that the Clearwing Moth begins as what is known worldwide as a tomato worm. Those big green worms that will destroy a tomato plant.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronwoodcraft....didn't know that...thanks for the information....I Love tomatos...:-[ but it's hard for me to "squash" things...except maybe flies.:angry9:

packerbacker....thanks....you & my hubby can be the "squashers". :laughing7: Something else funny packerbacker....when I first saw your avatar name & picture I thought you were some king of "fish packer",pretty dumb eh? Then later you mentioned something to do with "football" & it finally sunk in. :tongue3: Unless I'm wrong again?

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
ronwoodcraft....didn't know that...thanks for the information....I Love tomatos...:-[ but it's hard for me to "squash" things...except maybe flies.:angry9:

packerbacker....thanks....you & my hubby can be the "squashers". :laughing7: Something else funny packerbacker....when I first saw your avatar name & picture I thought you were some king of "fish packer",pretty dumb eh? Then later you mentioned something to do with "football" & it finally sunk in. :tongue3: Unless I'm wrong again?
When I was kid in Oklahoma, I caught a catfish using one of those tomato worms for bait.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread