Nevadatrav

Oct 19, 2015
Winnemucca, nv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,
I'm about ready to buy a drywasher, but I'm hung up on two different Keene models..
First: I want to stick with Keene, I have a mind set on two different models but can't make up my mind. So I'm hoping some one else will chime in with their experience with one or the other.. I know they will be a huge price difference, use-ability, weight, compactness, or multi use functions..
First is the Keene 140s .
-I like the fact that it folds up.. Pro
- you can only drywash with it. Con
- not enclosed for dusty areas ( high silica area) con
- small and light weight pro
- relatively cheap price pro
Second is the Keene 190/191
- big and bulky con
- can drywash, highbanker, or dredge with kit . pro
- more expensive, con
- enclosed for dust control, pro

I suppose I could go on and on, but I am afraid I will had wish I had made a different purchase after buying one or the other. I have never used a drywasher, I do have a self water recirculating small 6" wide highbanker sluice, river sluice, 3" dredge, but being out in the desert I'm thinking I can get more done with out water but still want to have the ability to use water if needed..

So here is the hang up.. If I go with the 140s I can keep all my other sluices and dredge and have multiple different equipment or get the 191 and still have all the same equipment all in one..

So if any one cares to add their two ¢.. Or if they run one of the Keene models and would share their experiences that might help out.. Thanks for your time and help.. Please don't try to sell me on a different brand either. Im pretty set on Keene.. :thumbsup:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remember those huge beige- almost fits in the room -Fax, Copy, Print, Phones from the 80's?

When you are ready to dredge buy a dredge.

When you are ready to highbank buy a highbanker.

When you are ready to drywash buy the 140.

If you really want to be prepared buy all three separately. Then if you are confused when you go out tie all three together. They won't weigh any more than the 191 with the print function and the copier attachment and you will get more gold with the purpose built equipment.

Otherwise when you are ready to sell your equipment to get the money to buy the equipment you need to mine efficiently you won't have to find a buyer that wants a fax, copi.... er... 191.

Heavy Pans

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay's right, go with the 140s. Effective and tough enough to beat like a rented mule. Perfect drywasher for 1-2 miners. Keep all your gear til convinced you will never need it again. A yard shed in the back yard is where I keep all mine, call it the "miner's cave"

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a knockoff swiss army knife that does it all....just not well. For a particular type of op, especially wet vs dry, the tool for the job, and engineered for such, that needs to be done properly is the correct tool-John

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a rookie, but I bought the 140s kit (with pricy 4 cyl. Blower? $1,100 total out the door. Now its not paid for itself yet, but even a rookie cabn get gold with this thing. Very easy to setup. Fairly light composite material with some aluminum. I like it alot.

Digging in the desert for gold ain't for sissies. stay golden.

OP
OP
N

Nevadatrav

Oct 19, 2015
Winnemucca, nv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see your point clay diggins, And it makes sense. I figured being a Keene the 191 would have been engineered for that purpose, but now that you put it that way.. Getting the 140 would probably have a higher pay off In The right area because it was designed for that one purpose.. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my 140s because it works well with 2 guys feeding it, I get a lot of fine gold along with flakes. Ain't seen no nugs yet, but I think that has more to do with the aeea, than the machine. Good luck

Digging in the desert for gold ain't for sissies. stay golden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread