Hunt # 76 - Heart Palpitations

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
Awoke early, arrived at my favorite hunting grounds just before the first light of day. Powered up and began meandering about. A light drizzle of rain began beating upon my back as I ventured towards the towel line. I start my systematic habit of slow and methodical sand scrubbing. I begin walking backwards to smooth out a rugged patch of sand and then I get an ever so slight tone. Unable to pass it up, I scoop and scoop and scoop. A sweep of the coil confirms I got the target. At first glance nothing. Casually, I pull out my flashlight and peer into the scoop. Wedged between the scoop wall and my magnet...a ring! I retrieve it and there, squinting at it I perceive markings on the inner band, makers marks? A large square diamond on top? Heart palpitations. Could it be real? Could I be so lucky, finally? I tuck it in my pocket. Tried to forget and continue the hunt. Mere minutes pass. The presence of the ring gnawing away at me. Damn. So much for this hunt. Back to the car and headed home at a much quicker pace than usual (to say the least). Get inside, whip out the ring, look at it under magnification and bam.
MVC-015F.JPG

The dreaded THAI mark. Thailand. Further inspection reveals what appears to be a 925 mark in one spot and a AI stamp in another. I know AI stamps on silverware are indicative of silver plate but the 925 stamp bewilders me. Severe wear on the outer parts of the ring suggest plating. A vexing problem. Only a diamond tester will tell if the stone is truly real. Blasted hobby, now I'll have to spend money to determine if it is indeed real. Then again, either way I will get a new toy out of all of this...muhahaha!
9-20-2012-01sp.JPG

As always, may you have a plentiful hunt with a plethora of significant acquisitions !

Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of people see silver rings and automatically believe that stones on it are not diamonds. Believe it or not, some people can not wear gold. It gives them a rash in the area of wear. I have several friends that wear silver only and they do have nice diamonds on their rings.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great narrative! Great ring as well. Pretty thing even if it turns out to be a faker.

HH,
Anita

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a nice looking ring, MPP!

Hope it turns out well for you.

Nice post & pics!

Lorraine

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great story. Nice looking ring. As Grave Digger Max would say, that is called a nitro bomb. It will stop you in your tracks, real or not.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it "gnaws" at you to know what it is, a pesky feeling! WTG on listening for those soft incoherent sounds, the best ones! Congrats, hope it turns out well

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont have to spend any money - just walk into any jewelry store - most will check it for free

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friends whose mothers are alergic to gold and have all their diamonds mounted in silver and I have found silver with real diamonds
so always check them

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
............. "but the 925 stamp bewilders me."

common marking on silver jewelry!! .925 and i have found many silver items with real stones.

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havn't found any 925 w/ real stones, but I also know folks who do have real stones in 925. (like said previous..... Alergy problem)
Still a nice ring Mad Pixel

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't you take it to a local jewelery store and ask them to test it....I'm sure once you pull that beauty out....everyone in the store will want to know:laughing7:

OP
OP
MadPixelPusher

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
............. "but the 925 stamp bewilders me."

common marking on silver jewelry!! .925 and i have found many silver items with real stones.

AI stamp means silver plate, not sterling silver as the .925 mark suggests. But then, in flatware articles (only), a quality mark of A.I. applied indicates silver of a minimum .925 quality used as primary plating, hence my confusion. In conclusion, the stones are fake and the evidence of plating was most probably a flashing of rhodium applied as a protective finish to enhance the reflectivity of the silver and for resistance to corrosion and tarnish. Maybe next time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread