Hunt for ferry crossing yields bottle dump

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, today the heat and a couple of Budweiser's must have got to me. About 2:30, when the hottest part of the day starts around here I got the bright Idea to park under the river bridge and head north toward where an old ferry crossing should be. I figured from what I knew, about three blocks from the parking area is where the crossing would be. I climbed out completely exhausted three hours later with the temp at 98F dragging ass with a nail bag and both hands full of bottles. I never hated my e-trac before. I did today. Also another first, one and only tick I ever had on me in the 30 years I have been in Central Texas. Hurray.

If NASA ever discovers an inhospitable green planet they should train here. The land a stones throw from town looks like something from another planet once you get in the bush.
I crawled through some stuff today I wouldn't let my dachshund through, only because it was that or a 45 min round trip to find away around the vine covered 40 foot drops or the knee deep mud in the creek bed below. never found a good spot to swing the coil much, but found the mother load of bottle dumps, my first ever.
I spotted the high bank and the glass in it long before I could work my way around it. I'm going back tomorrow with a back pack, all I had today was my nail apron I use detecting..
These pics don't do it justice, And I never got a good shot of the bank, its 30 feet high in some places and there is a layer of glass, pottery and ceramics that i have followed at least 50 yards.
Most of it is broken, but got some cool medicine bottles and a couple of local soda bottles from the late 1800's. My iPhone kept focusing on vines and branches, Ill post pics of the bottles I pulled out today a little later. I'm bringing my good camera tomorrow, so Ill have good shots of everything later.

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

Upvote 0

raycan

Mar 8, 2009
Texarkana, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Spectra V3I, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it turned out to be a good day. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the bottles found today and any future finds from there.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding 1880' and 90's bottle just on top of the ground, wonder what's down deeper? Dig it! Way to go.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great fun to find them on top of the ground. I'd think you'll have many good days there digging around for more.

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a promising but dangerous spot. I live in Midlothian, which is probably not to far. If you ever decide you need a helping hand, send me an email. I recommend not going alone. I have been treasure hunting ( metal detecting and bottle digging ) here in the DFW area for 24 years. My friend just turned me on to this site. My name is Robert Cutchins. Bottle digging can be treacherous at times and is best not to go alone. Lots can happen, especially here in Texas. Heat, snakebites, cave - ins, glass injuries, etc. Hopefully, you will keep me in mind. I have a spot you would feel like you were in Treasure hunting in heaven. You will find bottles and metal objects ( tokens, coins, fobs, buttons, etc. ) You won't even need your metal detector. Let me know if you're interested in getting together sometime. Robert

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool find (I'm def jealous), but looks like God-awful terrain. I don't know what TX is like in the winter, but if it were Jersey I'd say wait until then to do any more hunting. It's been there a long time and ain't going no where : )

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have been finding some good bottles. Let us see some pics. and quit holding out on us. I found a nice Hillsboro, Corsicana, and Waco soda last week.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea man,that may be the motherload!

Top Member Reactions