Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You and I...my friend...have a LOT in common. ;D

Love the pic btw. :love4:

Hope you have a safe, happy and golden year. :occasion18:

What I had intended to do was post up some pics to go along with your post. However, I somehow lost the originals BUT I finally found them again from an old post here on TN and copied them. These are the results of a a gift to my Dad from a claim holder in Warren ID from the 1960's. (You know your getting old when you have to specify which century. :laughing7:

Here they are, hope you enjoy...

dad gold idaho 1.jpg dad gold idaho 2.jpg dad gold idaho 3.jpg

dad gold idaho 4.jpg dad gold idaho 5.jpg dad gold idaho 6.jpg

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jan 1st, 2017 (Monday) Denver weather was mostly sunny with a high temperature of 53 degrees. So, with a winter storm moving in Wednesday I decided to get out for my first venture of new year. Had two spots (one of which I sampled in December) that I wanted to set up the Bazooka on and run material for an hour plus each. The first spot had an easy setup for the Bazooka:

Bazooka_site-1.jpg

After about 40 minutes of shoveling gravels/sands I emptied the Bazooka into a bucket, ran material through a 1/4" classifier, and then panned down to cons. Was pretty happy with what I saw in the pan.
bazooka-cons_site-1.jpg

The spot had good size boulders down to cobbles and pea-size gravels. Was also pretty heavy with black sands.
Here's the first hole that was feeding the sluice.
site-2_digging.jpg

The second spot was about 100 yards downstream with similar stream bed.
site-1_digging.jpg

Ran material at this spot for about an hour with two clean-outs of Bazooka. Below is a photo of cons from first clean-out.
bazooka-cons_site-2.jpg

It is Wed. now and starting to snow, so the next few evenings I be panning out the cons to see what I got. Will post results soon...

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty, pretty, pretty, etc.!!

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, here's the gold from spot #2 with Bazooka (post above). This was actually a better take than I expected. Gold panned out here was from about 1 1/2 hour feeding the sniper. Was also surprised by the number of flakes. Can't wait to see what I got from spot #1 of that day.
Au_site_1.jpg

More to come...

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
nice work ..I'm hoping for a result like that soon.. weight by any chance?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You really have found some nice spots!

I hope you start a collection of those larger flakes to display somehow. Those are nice and are big for Denver!!

PS nice photo too!!!

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Au-Dave, actually, I just got a scale for Christmas from my wife (awesome lady supporting my new habit!).

GemPro 250
GemPro250.jpg

Will weigh out the gold from spot #1 tomorrow. Any guesses?
I have not a clue since I have never weighed gold before.

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin - Was thinking of testing my clip-on magnifying lens for iPhone tomorrow with a layout of flakes. Should be able to get awesome details of the flakes' structure.

We need to get together and discuss this area's resources.
Also believe that I found some of your old dams...
Kevins_dam.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Au-Dave, actually, I just got a scale for Christmas from my wife (awesome lady supporting my new habit!).

GemPro 250
View attachment 1399464

Is there a prize (the gold pictured in post #85) if I guess the weight?:laughing7: My WAG* is 2.7 grams.

*WAG=wildassguess. Gold is a little less than twice as heavy as Silver and a Silver dime is about 2.5 grams and, and,.....your picture is not three dimensional.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold in that pic...I guess 1 gram.

That could be one of my dams. If so, bad news for you cause I cleaned out that spot!!

Meeting up: I'll PM you now.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other

GemPro 250
View attachment 1399464

nice looking scales ... I'll guess 2.35g . Gold is tricky to guess without seeing it in the flesh.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, for all who guessed the weight of the gold from spot #2, it ended up weighing .64 grams. Wished it was closer to some of the 2+ grams guesses!
Here is that image again.
Au_site_1.jpg

And here is the gold from spot #1 of that same day:
Au_site_2.jpg
Weighed in at .61 grams

So the total for that day ended up at 1.25 grams. My best day since I started prospecting in October 2016.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just catching up with your posts Hunt4gold! Very nice job out there, your journey into gold fever really reminds me of myself, both in Denver, the Bazooka, the research we've done... we must meet up!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just catching up with your posts Hunt4gold! Very nice job out there, your journey into gold fever really reminds me of myself, both in Denver, the Bazooka, the research we've done... we must meet up!

Intro made both ways!

ps lovely clean gold pics H4G!

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin - here's the photo of some of the larger gold flakes captured last Dec and this Jan.
Close-up taken with clip-on lens micro lens for my iPhone.
Gold_Flakes.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin - here's the photo of some of the larger gold flakes captured last Dec and this Jan.
Close-up taken with clip-on lens micro lens for my iPhone.
View attachment 1400678

Really nice; especially the size--coming from metro Denver. Kevin and I both have found some about 3 mm across and the one to the left of the I in Liberty looks to be 3 mm across and nearly that high. Several other pieces are approaching that size. Nice work!

Makes me want to drive up to south Denver from Monument the next day that is suitable (and I am not teaching). Thanks for the visual encouragement!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
^^what Dave said ^^. ...love it!

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out Jan 11th to a nice 50 degree sunny day here is south Denver. Gotta love the mild days here in Denver while we can drive 90 minutes and ski in 12" of new powder with a 60" base. Awesome!
Working the same area as last post, but got down to bedrock, which was about 2 feet deep in the stream bed.
Hole_1-11-17.jpg

Bazooka setup:
Bazooka_1-11-17.jpg

One thing I will try and start posting about is the stream morphology I am working. I am working on mapping/locating areas where there are alluvial outcrops along the stream (cobbles from 1" to 15") and either a good clay bed or bedrock for gold to collect on. As you can see, this spot has great cobbles, and as mentioned, bedrock under a 1-2 foot layer of sorted cobbles. This spot is the upper end of an inside bend point bar. Also discovered a 4" thick clay layer that comes in about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the point bar, near the bank. The clay bed has about a foot of course gravel (pea-size to 1") on it. Turned out to be a pretty good trap for gold. Most of the gold-bearing material was in the bottom 6" of gravel in the clay bed, and throughout the sorted cobbles down to bedrock. However, I believe that that the larger flakes were skimmed off the bed rock surface.

Here is a photo of the cons from the Bazooka from that day - will hopefully process these early next week.
Clean-out_1-11-17.jpg

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice and shiny!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread