Hunted one park, got kicked out of another...(added some good news)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted a small park this AM and found the small silver turqoise ring, a metal ring that looks like it was gold-plated at one time and a silver/diamond finger bracelet (it's metal, although I'm pretty sure it's junk). Then I went to another park that is in the county to the south of us. I was hunting along in the playgrounds and swingsets and a park employee pulls up in a golf cart utility vehicle and says "Sir, I regret to inform you that there is no metal detecting in county parks". I told him I had read all the park rules and there was nothing said about detecting. He said they passed a law last summer...blah, blah, blah. He was nice, and so was I...at least now I know.

HH!
TBGO

Attachments

• 2_20_06_a.jpg
    2_20_06_a.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 2_20_06_b.jpg
    2_20_06_b.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Hunted one park, got kicked out of another...

Beep,

nice finds.

At least the person was nice about asking you to leave.

Seems you still had a good day.

Noticed the baseball.
Did you know that a baseball has 216 red stitches :o
Thats a real fact.

have a good un...........

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

yeah the parks can be wierd. in my county some county parks are ok and some are not. you have to call or write to get permission,and when you do they put all kinds of restrictions on you, like dont detect untill after 10am or no holes more than 2" wide. whats more, you have to call to set up an "appointment" every time you want to go! other people can use the park whenever they want. why do i need to make an appointment? the guy in charge has a real crappy attitude. city parks are off limits all together. i dont know why detectorists are percieved as lowlifes or criminals, but we are not treated with the same level of respect that other hobbyists are.at least around here.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

Beep nice finds, sorry to hear about county parks, we have rules in some of the cities here really strange, like you can detect in some city parks but not in others, good luck in next park
hh
dave+bobbie

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey beep,It's the same crap pretty much where ever you go it seem's.No one want's you to bring a lick of history out of the ground,even if it's some modern day penny.Can't understand the logic...let it rot right!!Glad you made it through the first one and HH!!

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

Beep,
Sorry to here about the ejection. Some interesting finds though.

I have a couple parks and one historic park to detect. The City Council rules the grounds where these are located. I plan on going to the top to get permission to detect. I know many of the council members. The historic park was a Fort established around 1790, and was decomissioned around 1830-1840.I'll agree to give any relavent artifacts to the museum, the rest will be mine.I have a "Dectectorist Agreement" policy I initiated for folks that need some reassurance that I won't damage anything and I'll leave it the way I found, no large holes, re-fill any holes, dispose of any trash,liability disclaimer, etc. Sometimes a piece of paper works, sometimes it don't. Permission is easier than forgiveness.So far I havn't needed the "agreement",it's either yes or no.

Smartin

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollowpointred said:
i dont know why detectorists are percieved as lowlifes or criminals, but we are not treated with the same level of respect that other hobbyists are.at least around here.

Dang...they think I'm a criminal? ???

That might explain some of those looks I get! :D

Nice finds today Beep!

;)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

:'( Park attendants, do you think they give lessons in saying no to detectorist? Grrrr.

J

jgpreston

Hope you have a lot of other places you can go and detect. It can be a hassle sometimes just to enjoy ones' self. Sure looks like you had a productive day otherwise. Good luck on the next outting and Happy Hunting! :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I lived in an area that forbade mding in parks I would go to my councilperson or whoever and find out what the problem is. Then I would start a campaign to change the law. Many people who are not familiar with mding invision some guy with a shovel digging up the turf and leaving holes in the ground. Unfortunatelly there are a few slobs that do just that! I'm just not one to let it go that easy I guess. Monty

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I do have some good news. The community I live in is privately owned, not a municipality or anything like that. It also has 95 parks. I saw a ranger at one of the parks on Saturday and asked him about detecting. He said he could see no reason why I shouldn't be able to detect. He was very nice...we talked for half an hour and I think he made a decision right then to get into the hobby. I gave him some web addresses and some advice. I got his name in case I have to use it at some point. It was quite refreshing.

HH!
TBGO

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds, WTG!!!
Cool deal, about the parks, and maybe a new hunting partner.
Good luck, & Happy Hunting~

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice finds Beep. Although I was wondering if you have had a chance to look up that county law to make sure. BTW, nice going on the private park-add one more to the growing population-you might even give him a short demo and let him get his hands dirty as well. ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Beep. Most park personel are concerned about damage to the park like some of our treasure hunting slobs make of the grass, so they just say NO detecting to anyone. It's always a good idea to give them a bag of trash you've picked up while detecting too. An I mean paper trash on the grass or be seen picking up around trash barrels.

Sandman

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is mainly why I moved on to hunt farm lands and wooded areas. Most of the old parks were hunted very hard back in the 70's to late 80's so most of the old stuff is gone anyway. About all that's left today in most very old parks are trash, seated and bust coins, and a few gold pieces ;D Did I mention the massive gold rings?

I think you're in California, right? So, don't sweat it. Start researching those Spanish trail locations. Do a quick research on the Spanish concentration areas and look for those farm lands way back off the beaten path. Some of these once had trading posts on them. I have a friend who has dug hundreds of Spanish coins (some gold) right from one of these fields. It's so remote they have to use a 4-wheeler to reach it.

HH

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm from Houston, actually. Your comment made me look at my profile...it used to say my location under my avatar, now it's not an option to display it...hmmmm.

The local parks are not old, but do give up a surprising amount of gold (and lots of clad). So, gold and jewelry is really all I expect (if that)...I would be shocked to find any silver coins. I used to go to the beach a lot, and sometimes still do, but it's so nice to only have to drive 5 minutes instead of an hour and a half. I would like to do some relic hunting, but I need to do more research and footwork first.

Those Spanish fields do sound wonderful, though!

HH!
TBGO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread