Dec 28, 2016
NH
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some labor day detecting this afternoon with my Dad chauffeuring. He didnt swing because his RA was acting up. Hit an 1800s ball field that didnt produce anything except new change.

Second spot scored the musket ball.

Went to lunch and on the way back stopped at a farm and farm stand to see if we could get permission to detect the fields after harvest is over. The woman at the stand said wed have to get in touch with the owner and hes out probably working the fields now. We thanked her and left. Before leaving the lot I told my dad to swing back to the house next door, because there is a guy on a tractor in the front yard and we might be able to score a permission.

We pull in and hop out of the car. We approach the gentleman on the tractor and asked about the home and property (early 1800s) and then my dad had a hunch he might be the owner of the farm. He said he wasnt but he dad was and hes inside. He also said the property has been detected several times and they didnt find much and was sort of giving us a NO but said come inside and talk to his dad. We went in and introduced ourselves to the elderly fellow and explained our interest in the farm and the house. He said go ahead to both places but reminded us it had been detected before.

I started in side front yard and was getting a lot of EMI from the powerlines so I had to back down the sensitivity quite a bit but I started getting signals and popping plugs. New change and random metal fragments. About 20 mins in I dug the dateless Buffalo.

Then my dad said try about the back. I headed out back poking around here and there and then headed towards back corner of the house where it opened into the back side yard. Thats when I got a 96 at 2 inches. I lifted to coil a foot to see if it was still loud like an aluminum can would be and the signal was weak. I thought that was strange but I was still convinced it was a can. I had on the NEL thunder which is 10x14 inches and im still getting used to pin pointing with it. Well I was off....:BangHead: I stuck in the digger and hit something had. I backed off and cut around it. No more than a half inch down was the 1923 S Peace Dollar. My first silver dollar less than 13 months into my detecting "career".

I called my dad over and showed him. I didnt find much else as I was moving quickly since we promised the owner wed only hang around for an hour. At the end we tried finding the elderly owner but he wasnt around. The son was still on the tractor so we showed him the 2 coins and he was quite astounded and handed them back. we said thank you, shook his hand and said we'll be back in a month or so to check the fields out.

Attachments

• 0904171859.jpg
    0904171859.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 0904171859a.jpg
    0904171859a.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 46

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'm still waiting to dig one of those!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I'm still looking for a silver dollar to pop out. I would have had the same smashed beer can thought in a signal that good. Congrats!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet coin. Congrats! [emoji2][emoji106]

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's so awesome! Congrats. :icon_thumleft:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a big beautiful coin! Congrats on digging your first! I hurts to hit one but with a coin that big it's easy to do. Better to give it a little kiss when digging it out to not have found it at all. Way to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread