Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some labor day detecting this afternoon with my Dad chauffeuring. He didnt swing because his RA was acting up. Hit an 1800s ball field that didnt produce anything except new change.

Second spot scored the musket ball.

Went to lunch and on the way back stopped at a farm and farm stand to see if we could get permission to detect the fields after harvest is over. The woman at the stand said wed have to get in touch with the owner and hes out probably working the fields now. We thanked her and left. Before leaving the lot I told my dad to swing back to the house next door, because there is a guy on a tractor in the front yard and we might be able to score a permission.

We pull in and hop out of the car. We approach the gentleman on the tractor and asked about the home and property (early 1800s) and then my dad had a hunch he might be the owner of the farm. He said he wasnt but he dad was and hes inside. He also said the property has been detected several times and they didnt find much and was sort of giving us a NO but said come inside and talk to his dad. We went in and introduced ourselves to the elderly fellow and explained our interest in the farm and the house. He said go ahead to both places but reminded us it had been detected before.

I started in side front yard and was getting a lot of EMI from the powerlines so I had to back down the sensitivity quite a bit but I started getting signals and popping plugs. New change and random metal fragments. About 20 mins in I dug the dateless Buffalo.

Then my dad said try about the back. I headed out back poking around here and there and then headed towards back corner of the house where it opened into the back side yard. Thats when I got a 96 at 2 inches. I lifted to coil a foot to see if it was still loud like an aluminum can would be and the signal was weak. I thought that was strange but I was still convinced it was a can. I had on the NEL thunder which is 10x14 inches and im still getting used to pin pointing with it. Well I was off....:BangHead: I stuck in the digger and hit something had. I backed off and cut around it. No more than a half inch down was the 1923 S Peace Dollar. My first silver dollar less than 13 months into my detecting "career".

I called my dad over and showed him. I didnt find much else as I was moving quickly since we promised the owner wed only hang around for an hour. At the end we tried finding the elderly owner but he wasnt around. The son was still on the tractor so we showed him the 2 coins and he was quite astounded and handed them back. we said thank you, shook his hand and said we'll be back in a month or so to check the fields out.

Attachments

• 0904171859.jpg
    0904171859.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 0904171859a.jpg
    0904171859a.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 46

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's to those who labor on Labor Day!

Congrats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those hunted out yards are the best ! Your Silver Dollar story is scary close to my own ! I too found a 1923-S Peace Dollar , i also assumed it was a beer can and stabbed it on the obverse with a screwdriver ! I ended up bezel setting it in a bolo tie setting (sterling silver ) eagle side up .

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moley that is a sweeet find! Congrats, and welcome to the silver dollar club!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent! I wish my dad was still around to share the experience. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent story, GREAT finds! Still chasing my first silver dollar of any kind after 26 years- Congrats to you both!

-- Jeff --

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't spend it, it is worth more than a dollar

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on getting that permission. You done good.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE BIG BIG SILBER..

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys. Sure is a heavy coin. Psyched about it.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds!!! Silver dollar is a bucket lister!! Well done, congrats and HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the big silver! Only 13 months to achieve this-what took you so long? :laughing7: Really sorry to see you leave the " Haven't found one yet membership " being an aged member I truly believe that after gaining my membership some 45+ yrs ago I would someday part ways-but sadly I truly believe I'll be lifetime member.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread