Hunted Saturday with Beekeeper65 at his 1784 house

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Beekeeper65 was kind enough to invite me over on Saturday to hunt at his house that was built in 1784. It had an addition built in 1814 or 1815. He wants to get into metal detecting so I brought my Ace250 and gave him a crack at using it so he gets the feel of detecting and what is a good signal. There was a lot of junk signals that the Ace was bouncing all over the place. Had it in jewelry mode and the sensitivity at 4 bars. Lots of iron, probably nails since he said whenevr he gardens he is pulling them outta the ground.
Unfortunately we didn;t find any coins but I'm sure they are there. He did manage to find a bullet I think. If anyone can properly ID this that would be helpful.

When we were about done, he was detecting a small hill on the side of his property that drops down to an old road that is no longer in existance. HE got a nickel signal so we figure we would dig it and managed to pull up his first old button. It is a small diameter button, smaller than a dime and I could see the shank was still attached and on the front we could tell it had a pattern on it. Washing it up a little showed the pattern was of a sunflower. He was very excited about having found his first bullet and old button. Any help determining age of the button would be nice.

Anway take a look at our pics. The first person is Beekeeper65 holding his keepers. THe second one is myself and beekeeper65.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year everyone.

HH

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1349.JPG
    IMG_1349.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
Way to go funkman! That old site should definitely produce a lot of interesting relics! And what a way to introduce a newbie to our addiction! Unbelievable that we're still able to get out and hunt this time of year!

Happy '07 and Happy Hunting!
Barb

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very Nice...Looks like you have a great place to hunt with the age of that house. The sunflower is really nice and the coins will come!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice~

HH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Awesome flower button. You gotta dig those nickel signals. Most of those old buttons were pewter (lead/tin mix), lead (real old ones), sometimes copper/bronze. All the old buttons I find are in the nickel range and I usually know it is a button ;D Congrats on your finds.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Bullet is modern. Wad cutter of some type. The buttons are always hard to tell unless you can read the backmark. Being from an old homesite, probably pretty old. I would hunt that area with the disc set to just get rid of the nails and hit it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread