South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all! I have a 600 and the stock 11” coil. I’m hitting this awesome old site and pulling significant old relics from 2” deep to 10”, but adjacent to the hot area is a chain link fence. If I am at sensitivity 21, I have to be about 5’ away. I lowered sensitivity down to 10 and could get within about 2’ away and dug an awesome tombac button still about 4-5” down.

If I just disc out the fence VDI, even if I don’t hear it anymore, it will still be masking out all other signals, correct?

Any other strategies around metal fences?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant do it. Your ONLY hope is to put on a 6" coil and drop your sens WAAAAY down. I know your problem. I cant get my EQX within feet of any large metal object without problems. It's just too powerful and sensitive.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to have any hope at all your swing needs to be parallel to the fence line.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never tried it, but try to ground balance as close to the fence as you can. When I ground balance over a hot rock the effect is reduced hot rocks detection at one particular beach I detect on. It might just work on an Equinox when done next to a fence. I am going to try it the next time I am next to a chain link fence.

Oh yes, as Vferrari said, swing parallel with the fence.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/96933.html

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I found the Equinox was the best machine I ever used by a chain link fence. With the 15" coil, it's not all that great, but, the 11" works well, and the 6" works excellent. You'll hear the fence, but, it will be a consistent tone and number. I just ignore that tone and listen for additional tones or a change in tone. I find a faster recover speed helps too. I keep the sensitivity high also, just like what I use away from the fence. You'll need to work a bit slower and hit the area from several angles to separate the fence sounds from other targets nearby.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I found the Equinox was the best machine I ever used by a chain link fence. With the 15" coil, it's not all that great, but, the 11" works well, and the 6" works excellent. You'll hear the fence, but, it will be a consistent tone and number. I just ignore that tone and listen for additional tones or a change in tone. I find a faster recover speed helps too. I keep the sensitivity high also, just like what I use away from the fence. You'll need to work a bit slower and hit the area from several angles to separate the fence sounds from other targets nearby.

this is how I got around a vollyball post recently

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along a fence or any metal like in a playground I use my pin pointer in the zone (3 to 4) inches next to the metal and cover the balance with my detector. I desensitize the pointer a bit and this method has proven itself many times over in heavily hunted ground. It is a bit more work but the results so far have more than compensated for the effort. TRX is my pointer.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I’ll give this approach a shot. The fence gives a 16-17 VDI, I’ll crank the sensitivity so it is constantly ringing 16-17 and then listening for changes. I guess I will then turn sensitivity way down to try and pinpoint the target. Thx!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread