Cerberus

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2011
Fairfax County, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett "Carrot" pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am near Gungahlin and am brand-new to metal detecting and Australia. I would love to go on a hunt but I have no idea where. Do you have any experience in metal detecting?

Cerberus

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2011
Fairfax County, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett "Carrot" pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back from my first ever metal detecting hunt and I had a great time! An Aussie by the name of Ian contacted me through Treasure.net and said he'd show me the basics. We met up today at a park in suburban Canberra and after a brief introductions, we were off.

Our goal was coin shooting. Ian said that this park had been around for decades so there was a good chance we'd find some pre-decimal Australian coins.

Here is a picture of my take:

309133_4968143641774_62446380_n.jpg

The skull is some kind of costume jewelry. The object at the top-right I found about five feet away from the parking lot. I assume it's a car part. The top row of coins are pre-1962 Australian pennies. One dollar coins comprise the middle row; the first two coins on the last row are Australian two dollar coins and the last coin is a two cent coin.

I learned some important things: purchase a trowel made for coin shooting. My garden trowel just didn't work well in the sun baked Australian sod. Wear gloves. Purchase a point detector, to zero in on the object.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread