StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the policies for detecting at resorts in the Caribbean? Wife and I are planning on going to an all inclusive like Sandals or Couples and was wondering if they allowed detecting on their beaches. If not then I was thinking of maybe getting one of those little hand held PI detectors and just snorkeling with one of those. Wouldn’t think they could object to that.

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not so much about the resorts as it is getting through the island's Customs. I don't ever want to have my gear detained by Customs while I try to enjoy a vacation I had planned to do a lot of detecting. Some cruise ships will detain metal detecting gear while you travel with them. Times are changing!

All depends on the island you are going to. The British Commonwealth islands are about the same for the written law. Although not always enforced. I personally have given up trying to take a metal detector, full-size, hand held or a pinpoint to the British Commonwealth islands. They are all on the banned/restricted lists. I never had a problem until this year and have made many trips since the early 1980's. Turks & Cacos and Jamaica have gotten strict about the enforcement of their written law.

See the two below links.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/588320-traveling-jamaica-must-read.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...8381-traveling-antigua-barbuda-must-read.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Did not expect that. Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll be leaving my detector at home.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much about the resorts as it is getting through the island's Customs. I don't ever want to have my gear detained by Customs while I try to enjoy a vacation I had planned to do a lot of detecting. Some cruise ships will detain metal detecting gear while you travel with them. Times are changing!

All depends on the island you are going to. The British Commonwealth islands are about the same for the written law. Although not always enforced. I personally have given up trying to take a metal detector, full-size, hand held or a pinpoint to the British Commonwealth islands. They are all on the banned/restricted lists. I never had a problem until this year and have made many trips since the early 1980's. Turks & Cacos and Jamaica have gotten strict about the enforcement of their written law.

See the two below links.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/588320-traveling-jamaica-must-read.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...8381-traveling-antigua-barbuda-must-read.html

Im hoping that this winter I will have the time to compose a letter to send to Jamaican officials
hoping to get a response from the right people - TNET has a lot of members - hoping to maybe get all
to send a protest - hoping to get members from here whether they travel or not detect or not to support us
and write an email once I find the right people to contact - will probably start with their board of tourism
I think we are paying the price for the few lawbreakers that are stealing historical treasures - they will lose 100s of
us "simple" Ther's for the acts of a few dicks

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Casper and when you get ready and or locate contact persons I will gladly join in sending letters. I haven't been able to go on a vacation to one of the tourists areas and hunt yet but have been looking forward to gettting to go for a long time and to think I may never get to now totally chaps my buttocks!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure you could rent one when you get there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also can I go with ya lol

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

See the two below links.

What about the US Virgin islands ?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
There is NOT ONE detector supplier in Jamaica. No rentals, No sales and no one answered local postings for help. I had several locals trying to help to no avail in finding a "loaner".

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is NOT ONE detector supplier in Jamaica. No rentals, No sales and no one answered local postings for help. I had several locals trying to help to no avail in finding a "loaner".
I work with a couple of guys that have dual citizenship - one guy said he knew they were stirring things up
I was wondering if I had one mailed to his house there if I would still get fined - arrested or it get confiscated
if they saw me doing it - he was in the military police when he worked down there - so he said no one would mess with
him - but me :dontknow:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Traveling to Mexico in a few weeks. Will let everyone know how it goes down there. Was there back in June with no issues. We'll see...

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
USVI are ok to hunt just watch that you are not in a National Seashore area like Megan's Bay or St John. I"ve hunted Cozumel many times and it is ok there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread