Hunting corn stubble

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have permission to detect a 35 acre field, that I researched and and from 1876 to 1897 there were three different homes on this parcel. Been waiting for the corn to come off. Today I did my first corn stubble hunt. A couple things I did learn 1) the Etrac Stock coil with spokes.............. not good,always hung up, even if it is larger. Should have used my Coiltek 10x5 solid bottom, 2) It's a lot more work than walking through the park with a detector. On a positive note found some square nails, spent bullets, and a few other odd and ends, that tell me I am in the right area for one of the 1876 home sites, according to the map overlay! Coil change, an a starting spot for the morning, I guess today's hunt was a success

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job! Keep at that site and you will dig up the good stuff!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Field hunting is way different that park hunting, that's for sure. Good luck on the 35 acre hunt. I normally go to the fields after snow season arrives. When it is too windy and cold, I migrate into the woods.

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
Corn stubble is tough. The 10x5 coil would have been much smoother running for you. In our area there is also bean stubble, which if cut short, and it usually is, is much smoother hunting. I usually try and find another spot that is bean stubble. Of course there are some sites that are worth the effort of putting up with the tough to hunt corn stubble.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Corn stubble is tough. The 10x5 coil would have been much smoother running for you. In our area there is also bean stubble, which if cut short, and it usually is, is much smoother hunting. I usually try and find another spot that is bean stubble. Of course there are some sites that are worth the effort of putting up with the tough to hunt corn stubble.

The 10x5 is on for morning, I think this spot will be worth the effort. It is not like I have to wander the whole thing , Map overlays show where the houses were, in the past, when put on todays map.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it. I've been working a small field next to a 1770's house for the third year and FINALLY got some plain 18th century buttons on Sunday. Persistence pays off.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it. I've been working a small field next to a 1770's house for the third year and FINALLY got some plain 18th century buttons on Sunday. Persistence pays off.

I hope so Smokey, I have been researching this spot for over two Winters, and just got permission this summer, while he was planting. Itching to get it at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread