hunting cornfields

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
there are a number of cornfields in the area that i am sure i could hunt. i have no idea if houses or buildings have ever stood on the property although to my knowledge there never have been. how would you approach detecting a site like this? is it worth it? i know that if i do try it i will wait untill the field has been freshly plowed.are there any topographical details i should look for that may be more productive than other spots or should i just hunt it in a grid pattern?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would look for Big old Trees, A Rise in the Ground, or a Depression.

once I have These Picked out, I'd do an Eye Site Inspection For Pieces of Pottery, Glass, etc.

then I'd wonder over the Most Promising Site First, with My Detector.

poolboy

Mar 27, 2005
thats an excellent idea Jeff!i've often wondered where to start myself.big piece of land like that looked overwhelming.I think i'll take a second look.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to get permission, just ask the property owner. There's not anything in corn fields arouind here but corn stalks!Most of the prospective sites are on the edges of the fields qnd big trees are a give away.

N

nutso

The fields in my area have been farmed since the 1700's. I have a friend who only does cornfields and clover fields. He finds alot of coins. I have searched a few and found two 1860's coins, a large cent and musketballs. If there are no obvious signs of a dwelling keep in mind that back before there were tractors men plowed the fields with oxen or horses pulling a plow. So they spent alot of time there and may have lost coins. I start on the outside and circle the field a few times, then I go across the center a few times, digging every signal. Square nails, pieces of glass or pottery are a sign a structure was near. It's a daunting task and very time consuming, but find one hot spot and reap the rewards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread