Hunting for caches around old homesites, check the hollow doors.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
The dog house might be good too, but now days, I think its a well known hiding place.

Unless you have a large breed dog. ;D If you feed your dog at least one meal a day right in front of the dog house, you'd be surprised how territorial they get.

As far as ideas from police or jailers, check on Google. There used to be some info posted for officer safety. Can't recall them any more ??? Usually if you take some time and think with the mindset the best place to hide something is right in front of you, and if I lived here, I'd hide my goodies over there, you should do well. And if you search and come up empty, search in reverse order again.

One of my favorite tools for houses is a black light. The cheapest way to go is get a coleman battery lantern. Replace the flourescent tubes with one long wave & one short wave bulb. If you search a building when it's fairly dark with a black light you'll be able to see patches in the walls even under several layers of wallpaper & paint. We called these "wall pendants". This way you can do a good search without tearing everything up. BTW snakes flourese green (lesson hard learned) if it looks like a piece of garden hose, leave it alone! ::) ::) ::)

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scorpions are also a beautiful green, with a black light. I seen a post here on TN about that, but of course had to try it out myself, and I was really surprised, they glow like a dive watch at night. I had an idea about hunting mushrooms with a black light, but it didnt work out, at least with the mushrooms I have at home. I will have to try it out on the next cobra I see, and hope it works, before he sees me!

I'm sure with the right combination of IR and UV, that there might be some surprising things to be found, but I'm not holding my breath searching for gold with it, or coins. Maybe discovering disturbed ground, or as you said, holes in walls. When I get a more powerful UV light, then I will do a little more experimenting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
Scorpions are also a beautiful green, with a black light. I seen a post here on TN about that, but of course had to try it out myself, and I was really surprised, they glow like a dive watch at night. I had an idea about hunting mushrooms with a black light, but it didnt work out, at least with the mushrooms I have at home. I will have to try it out on the next cobra I see, and hope it works, before he sees me!

I'm sure with the right combination of IR and UV, that there might be some surprising things to be found, but I'm not holding my breath searching for gold with it, or coins. Maybe discovering disturbed ground, or as you said, holes in walls. When I get a more powerful UV light, then I will do a little more experimenting.
Try my advice on using the Coleman battery lantern. For less than $30 you end up with a black light as good as the $200+ units they sell in the rock hound shops. The way the switch is set up you can switch between the LW & SW bulbs so you only need to carry one unit.

Desertrokon

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2011
boogeyman said:
Try my advice on using the Coleman battery lantern. For less than $30 you end up with a black light as good as the $200+ units they sell in the rock hound shops. The way the switch is set up you can switch between the LW & SW bulbs so you only need to carry one unit.

That's a great suggestion. :icon_thumleft: Can you recommend a source for the long wave and short wave tubes?
Thanks
Vic

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desertrokon said:
boogeyman said:

That's a great suggestion. :icon_thumleft: Can you recommend a source for the long wave and short wave tubes?
Thanks
Vic
Hi Vic,
I got mine from
French Electric & Lighting Supply
(602) 995-0532
2710 W Glendale Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85051

The ones that work for the Coleman lanterns are
Sylvania F4T5/BLB - They're 6" long by 5/8" dia

If I recall correctly this is the short wave bulb. Tell them you want a longwave bulb also.
These are pretty common bulbs and any good sized electrical supply house will have them. The big box stores like Depot & Lowes usually don't carry them because they don't move enough units to stock them.

NOTE! Make sure you follow the warnings for protecting your eyes.

If you have problems locating them PM me.

Desertrokon

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2011
boogeyman said:
Hi Vic,
I got mine from
French Electric & Lighting Supply
(602) 995-0532
2710 W Glendale Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85051

The ones that work for the Coleman lanterns are
Sylvania F4T5/BLB - They're 6" long by 5/8" dia

If I recall correctly this is the short wave bulb. Tell them you want a longwave bulb also.
These are pretty common bulbs and any good sized electrical supply house will have them. The big box stores like Depot & Lowes usually don't carry them because they don't move enough units to stock them.

NOTE! Make sure you follow the warnings for protecting your eyes.

If you have problems locating them PM me.

Thank You !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread