Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 12 months ago I started detecting a promising area and then abandoned the site as I thought it was a listed area where I shouldn't be. The items I found I left in their original position. Just recently I tracked down a local historian who is the expert on the area and let her know that I'd found a few items and would show her where they were. I didn't know how'd she receive me - a potential looter of her site perhaps. She agreed to meet me on site, was delighted with the prospect of my offer to find, map and donate the relics I find (aside from the coins). I get a lot more pleasure finding the stuff than putting it away in boxes. She proceeded to take me on a two hour walk pointing out all the tent sites, camp sites, cottages, roads, dumps etc etc. Its all just bush now but was once a thriving community.

Not only was I surprised to get so much information of this site but she gave me instructions how to find other sites all over the surrounding 20km. I've gone out and bought a GPS with which I intend to map the sites and finds so all the relics keep their providence. I figure that building a relationship with members of the local historical society will open more doors than it closes.

Its a real change to find a relic and then being able to get feedback about the history of the particular location and why it may have been found there from a historian. I've only spent about three hours there so far but have found some nice items which are starting to put the site in context.

Attachments

• 1927halfpenny.JPG
    1927halfpenny.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 527
  • bullets.JPG
    bullets.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 528
  • leadplug2.JPG
    leadplug2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 525
  • gun1.JPG
    gun1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 521
  • tap1.JPG
    tap1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 524
  • razor2.JPG
    razor2.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
some great finds....the best of which is probably your historian friend now! Very cool that you have forged a new friendship there and can work together to save some history! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work. I've done the same for years (work with historians, book writers, archies etc). Funny thing is we just got a GPS as well to map a villa site later this year. Good luck. 8)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really awesome Harry, congrats! Doors are opening for you. The Archies here in Germany are a pain in the butt however, I have good relations with the museum, the historians and the local town officials and can detect almost anywhere I want now. This has taken many years to accomplish and being involved with the historical society has opened many doors to me. Getting a permit slammed many doors shut for me but they have opened again because of the permit. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Harry_Morant

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys - I must admit I take some of the inspiration for this approach from reading some of your posts where this has worked for you. Sure I'm not going to find any 1000 year old Roman relics or hammered silver but I'm still excited by the prospects regardless.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Harry,Thanks for sharing and good luck. By the look of that garden tap the water is bad as what we have. lol

Tinpan Yes the water here eats taps ;D ;D ;D

slak jak

Mar 13, 2008
melbourne australia
Detector(s) used
whites pi 1000 x2. quatro , ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey harry , seems like u have plenty of history to find ,
do u know what type of gun that is , looks pretty old ,
best of luck with your searching , slak jak .

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
sounds like you are doing great! Keep unlocking history for us! Maybe one day when metal detecting you will find a dinosaur that no one has discovered yet! Oh you can only wish! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry_Morant said:
Thanks for the comments guys - I must admit I take some of the inspiration for this approach from reading some of your posts where this has worked for you. Sure I'm not going to find any 1000 year old Roman relics or hammered silver but I'm still excited by the prospects regardless.

So you should be excited, otherwise you may as well take up knitting :wink:

It sounds like a great project & you will start to re-write the history of the area piece by piece ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread