Hunting for Megladon Shark Teeth

MinnesotaMary

May 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will be taking a road trip in October and driving though SC. We heard there are places in Summerville to find huge shark teeth. Can anyone give some insite of where to go, where to park, what time is best to go, ANYTHING! We have found lots of small ones in Florida but looking for something larger!! I did see there was a threat from 2008, but looking for updated info. Thanks so much!!!

Upvote 0

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Florida, you say? I found a 8" in the surf some years ago in Venice.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They re-nourished the beach at Venice last year and the sharks teeth finds are slim on the beach.

Dang, sorry to hear that. My grandparents had a house 4 blocks from the beach and I would spend almost all daylight hours on that beach or (on weekends) in the phosphate strip pits to the north collecting fossils.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida, you say? I found a 8" in the surf some years ago in Venice.

I've never heard of a verified 8" tooth. If you still have it, it would be worth a fortune.

We will be taking a road trip in October and driving though SC. We heard there are places in Summerville to find huge shark teeth. Can anyone give some insite of where to go, where to park, what time is best to go, ANYTHING! We have found lots of small ones in Florida but looking for something larger!! I did see there was a threat from 2008, but looking for updated info. Thanks so much!!!

Mary your best bet would probably be to Google meg teeth hunting in SC or refine your search to "fossil forum: meg tooth hunting in South Carolina" or something like that.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Naw, theres plenty a lot larger than that; they used to have tons in the local flea markets in the Venice Sarasota area. Mine has lost about half its enamel anyway. Maybe $40 at best last I looked. (i'm measuring by the longest dimension possible as is common; from peak to tooth root)

Actually my fav finds from that area came from the phosphate pits. Alligator/beaver teeth, and a broken baby mastodon molar.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest ever recorded is roughly 7.5". I would be very surprised if there are 8+" teeth out there. If you seriously have a 8" tooth it will be worth some serious $ even with enamel delamination.

This one I have is 6 7/8" and it's a monster. An 8 +" tooth is pretty unbelievable.

IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3053.JPG

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they didn't 'record' those at the flea markets I visited lol.
That's a very nice one you've got there btw. Mines packed up with a half century's rock and fossil collection and frankly, I'm not motivated to look for it- hopefully my heirs will enjoy digging thru all those barn containers.

Seriously, $40 tops in the 90's when I priced them in Florida. Yours would be a lot more because of condition. And of course, price increase over the years as well.

Also, I am not getting into a pissing contest over something on the Inturrrweb. I recently spent a bunch of time trying to teach someone who already 'knew' the answer on how to recognize diamagnetism in silver and got tired of being told it was impossible because he was incapable of learning. You believe whatever you want, and I'll do the same.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[h=1]Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter[/h]Writing in a conversational style for the lay person -- without forsaking science -- the author embarks on a world-wide hunt for the largest predatory fish and most fearsome shark ever to inhabit our global seas. After 62 million years, the fossil record for this 60-foot aqua-motive known as C. megalodon abruptly ends. In part, this is a color-illustrated guide book that pinpoints where to search for Meg teeth and other shark fossils in Florida and elsewhere, as well as how to identify the various species. It is also meant to invite lively discussions about how such a menacing predator became extinct, or whether it is still lurking deep below the ocean’s surface. Additionally, the book is a rallying cry for treating today’s sharks (as well as all life forms) with as much respect as we ourselves would want to be treated.

Above book is on Amazon. One of these teeth has been on the bucket list for a long time. I understand the Gulf Coast of Florida has a few hot spots.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ seriously you need to dig that tooth out measure it again and sell it. If it's even close to 8" collectors will pay stupid money for it. There are always stories of giant 8+" teeth but nobody can produce one.

canaddar

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ, I have to echo on this one.......seriously, if you have a tooth that big, or even close to it, it is well worth digging thru some old boxes to find it. I would bet that it could sell for thousands of dollars. Not bad for what amounts to an old rock shaped like a tooth.......

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, thank you for your concern but it is worth more to me than that as a memory of hunting with my uncle. Maybe I'll dig it out one day when I'm older, frame it and give it to my uncle's grandkids; and if they want to cash it in, then that's OK too. We hunted many gallons of teeth together and this one was the best we ever found. The memory of the instant I found it and his reaction is still fresh in my mind.

And I cant stress enough that mine isn't a prime specimen. The edges are wave/sand rounded and half the enamel is missing. I saw MUCH better at local flea markets back in the day. I rate jadoc's beautiful tooth as much more desirable than mine, No Contest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread