Hunting gold, and got a Surprise !!

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naval belt buckle 1.jpg I have been nugget hunting seriously for the past 6 years with some fair success and once in a while I would find a relic the prosecutors left behind. These relics compromised primarily of rusty iron, picks, axe heads and shovels. As usual I set out early morning to detect some nuggets when i got this deep tone on my Minelab. I was using my Coiltek 14" mono and I knew by the sound of it that the target was deep. I dug a foot down, than 2 feet..the sound got loud ...but the dirt was compact and hard..virgin ground I thought..another foot down and perhaps a life changing gold nugget maybe? no gold...damn !! After about a half hour of digging..I pulled out a beautiful piece of a 2 piece Naval buckle. The wreath is sharp, as if it was made yesterday...a gorgeous patina to boot. After research, I am pretty sure its a 1840-1850's Naval belt buckle, I could be wrong...as I only found 2 examples of it on line and they were reproductions. I think I have a real treasure here, in a historic perspective. I would imagine this sailor probably came to the gold fields from San Francisco, probably went AWOL and set his course to the Sierras in his search for gold. California just became a new State and joined the Union...and now I hold this buckle in my hand. For me this is as good as GOLD !

Last edited:
Upvote 46

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find. Hunting for Gold sounds like a blast also Great find!!!!!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you checked the hole, there has got to be another half somewhere around there

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a beautiful find, that will clean up nicely.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice find! I ran across a few examples, and all list it as 1850 through Civil War. An officer's buckle, it is considered a CW relic. Cool! 1850-navy-buckle-plate-1_03.jpg

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe-Dirt, I checked all around...I even put my 18" Coiltek mono on and scanned the area. The tongue part of the belt is a bit smaller but I will keep searching the area..you just never know.

Krey Gelder, I found that same reference on the net...the reason I say 1840's -1850's is because one of the references mentioned that this designed was also used from the 1840's through the 50's. The area I am searching was worked early in the gold rush..1849-through the mid 50's ..prior to this find few years back I found a flintlock pistol and earlier issue dragoon buttons. The pistol was not modified to cap...again this puts the period from 1848-1850's when they started to modify the weapons. Regardless.....its a cool find....hope the other one turns up so its complete.

A2Coins, hunting gold is difficult, extremely difficult...its hard to find good ground..but when you do find a natural gold nugget..its exciting!! I enjoy relic hunting too, but its difficult to think about relics when you live in gold country.

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice find now go find the other half

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe-Dirt, I checked all around...I even put my 18" Coiltek mono on and scanned the area. The tongue part of the belt is a bit smaller but I will keep searching the area..you just never know.

Krey Gelder, I found that same reference on the net...the reason I say 1840's -1850's is because one of the references mentioned that this designed was also used from the 1840's through the 50's. The area I am searching was worked early in the gold rush..1849-through the mid 50's ..prior to this find few years back I found a flintlock pistol and earlier issue dragoon buttons. The pistol was not modified to cap...again this puts the period from 1848-1850's when they started to modify the weapons. Regardless.....its a cool find....hope the other one turns up so its complete.

A2Coins, hunting gold is difficult, extremely difficult...its hard to find good ground..but when you do find a natural gold nugget..its exciting!! I enjoy relic hunting too, but its difficult to think about relics when you live in gold country.

I believe you. Just thought I would throw up an intact example. It's a great find! Congrats.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter you are the man!

Most of the repros I've seen aren't that sharp. It doesn't look like it's ever been polished. Please show us again after cleanup. Also banner!

Good luck and best wishes!

OP
OP
Relichunter1

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reanm8er, thanks for the nice words, i too was amazed how sharp this buckle is...no wear, the leaf points are sharp. Not sure if it should be cleaned of the patina or not, for now until I hear otherwise from collectors I am not touching it. Not sure if the patina will do it any harm..but looks great as it is.

Costa, thanks...I will let you know if its a 33 or not....I do know the area worked by prosepctors was an early digging...based on previous finds of this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions