HUNTING IN A WHEELCHAIR

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tall order. It's definitely going to be a bit tougher than it normally would, however, as we both know, NOTHING is impossible.

I'm sure you already know your chair like the back of your hand. So, you just need to devise a creative way to swing the coil. Maybe try shortening the shaft and sweeping the coil off to one side of your chair. Then, you can turn around at the end of a row and start all over again one coil space over.

Or, how about lengthening the shaft to where it is out in front of your chair and swinging that way? Just some suggestions. Like I said, NOTHING is impossible. You might have a strike in one area (the chair), but, you will MORE than make up for it in another area :thumbsup:

Get creative. There are a TON of folks who metal detect on horseback. I have no idea how they do it, however, they wanted it bad enough to come up with a way :icon_sunny:

Once you figure out a successful battle plan, please do post your strategy on this forum. I'm sure there are a lot of others like yourself out there. If they can learn something from your hard work and dedication, well, that's what it's all about my friend :thumbsup:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 10 or 15 years ago Western & Eastern Treasures Magizine had a whole article on this one guy who hunted exclusively from a wheelchair. You might try and call them to see if this this back issue is still available.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try to adapt what I think is called a "swingy thingy" (I know, weird name). It's a hip adapter for MD's that are heavy for people.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON DETECTING IN A MANUAL WHEELCHAIR AND HOW TO MAKE IT EASIER. I CAN GET ON THE GROUND EASY ITS THE ROLLING WHILE HOLDING THE DETECTOR THATS A STRUGGLE.
=================================================================
Could some type of cross bracket be mounted about lap height & slotted so that it could hold the detector
but swing open left or right to allow you to get out . Picture something like a gate hinge & lock. Possibly it would be best to have the shaft of the detector altered to have a a bend towards the top to be easier to
view. I sure wish I had an answer because I greatly respect you're desire to enjoy this hobby. All the best
to you. Good luck.

Acero

Aug 15, 2010
I definitely agree with your suggestion. It also comes into my mind. Through this, he can easily use his wheelchair in an efficient way.

S

stefen

In the last year or so, this same topic was discussed for a person having the same constraints...

Couldn't find the post, but will keep looking

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe a modified stainless rod extending to the front of the chair.
The rod would have a clip on the end, that would adhere to the shaft of the detector, near the control box. With a swivel type attachment near the clip, the detector could be swung from side to side with one hand easily. :dontknow:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may be a little "off base" but let's try attacking this problem from another angle... Let's re-design the chair! You know, like they do to play basketball. Are there any welders or machinests on this net that would like to get involved? One built lower to the ground so you can dig without getting out of the chair. Can we come up with something for the guy? Sure we can! There's got to be a club that has come across this and SOLVED the problem. Count me in... I'll help. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread