Hunting in Korea

g8r4evr

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2011
Chesapeake, Va
I am heading back to Korea for another tour (3rd in the last 13 years). Does anyone have any suggestion on where to hunt in the Southern end of the Peninsula (ie... Masan, Pusan or Chinhae)?

I also have another question for all that might read this. I have recently been given access to digital map overlays (Google Earth) of the defensive are for the Pusan Ring and there are a couple of known American positions on a mountain ridge a couple of miles away from my base that are marked on the maps. There is no risks on the Terrain (as it is on a registered hiking trail) but I am wondering on what are my risks after all this time that there might be some nasty stuff that goes boom? Also, should I set my detector to a non discriminatory mode so that I could possibly find some war relics? Any help would be appreciated.

To all that are wondering, I have already checked into the laws and all of the areas that I will be attempting to go to are all on public land, which is fair game in Korea.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck to you. I spent a tour in 1984 at Kunsan AFB, ROK. I envy you in having the chance to md there. I really wish I had been in the hobby then. Please post your finds and if you are in the Kunsan area, I remember going to a nice lake outside Kunsan City that was a popular area for people on picnics and enjoying outdoor time. The young lady that took me there and I met an elderly lady that was tending her garden. I carried her bounty back to her house for her and she fed us a wonderful meal. There are treasures in unexpected places. I am sure you know the older generation are more accepting of us GI's than the younger crowd, so I would suggest talking to an older person there. Again, thanks for your service and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread