Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...well, not quite. But the deep mud and stinking standing water in the cane rows of our straggler field, plus the relentless mosquitos made it seem like a swamp, missing only the vegetation and water snakes.

We did pretty well in our last hunt. Shanegalang dug his first Civil War button, a GS Eagle in decent shape with a stand-up shank. Here is a photo of the button, just dug:

eagle in hand.jpg

And a photo of the happy finder. The photo was taken at 8:30am after we had been hunting since 5:30. 90% humidity and a feels-like temp of close to 100.

eagle happy finder.jpg

Shane has already posted his good finds, so it's my turn. I got a Civil War knapsack triangle. I've dug the hooks before--all styles--but not found one of these, so I was pleased with it. Also got two barrel taps and a nice Georgian-era drawer pull. Added a ramrod tip to the collection too (top right). Got a couple whatzits, some clay marbles, some nasty toasted wheat pennies, and a clay pipe stem. Was pleased to get a tombac lid to a gunpowder can (center bottom).

my stuff.jpg

The following photo (originally posted by Ironman in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...ound-civil-war-camp-today-powder-can-cap.html) shows a similar powder can he dug. The threads around the rim of the one I dug were a dead giveaway, in spite of the fact that the screw-in bottom of it was broken off.

mid 1800s powder can stopper.jpg

And photos of mine:

powder can stopper front.jpg
powder can stopper back.jpg

I also realized that I had dug the missing piece to one of the barrel taps during a previous hunt. Fits together perfectly:

complete tap.jpg

Here is a photo of some of the stuff Shane has pulled recently.

shanestuff.JPG

The long relic (in many pieces) at the top is the arm from an old scale, similar to this:

Shane's scale.jpg

All in all a fun hunt at the straggler field, and nice to see some mid-1800s and Civil War for a pleasant change of pace from the colonial stuff.

And with that, the Canefield Bandits will sign off until next time. But I'll leave ya with a little Southern Louisiana Eye Candy. :)

abandoned for fun.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 7

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes may be deceiving me but it appears that one of the items you rescued in your hunt was a token. It appears to be the reverse side of it, with the numerical number 2 1/2 on it. Is it a token, and, does the other side provide more information that you have stated in your post? If so, could you share it with us? I have a fondness for tokens. Your recovery of relics and this token is certainly impressive.

Bond

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop! I,m drooling all over my keybord!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes may be deceiving me but it appears that one of the items you rescued in your hunt was a token. It appears to be the reverse side of it, with the numerical number 2 1/2 on it. Is it a token, and, does the other side provide more information that you have stated in your post? If so, could you share it with us? I have a fondness for tokens. Your recovery of relics and this token is certainly impressive.

Bond

The token is a maverick. Just the 2 1/2 marking and nothing on the other side.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckles,

Sorry for the late reply, but I just finished working my 12 hr. rotating shifts this last week and finally can spend some time on here! Yes your ID of the threaded powder can top looks to be correct especially if it was threaded. These threaded types definitely were not used in the 50's as evidenced by the push in type myself and my buddies finds in those sites. I definitely find the threaded type in the 1860's sites but am not quite sure where the exact transition was from the 50's to the 60's.

WTG on all the rest of your guys' finds and congrats to Shanegalang in digging his first GS button!

IM

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckles,

Sorry for the late reply, but I just finished working my 12 hr. rotating shifts this last week and finally can spend some time on here! Yes your ID of the threaded powder can top looks to be correct especially if it was threaded. These threaded types definitely were not used in the 50's as evidenced by the push in type myself and my buddies finds in those sites. I definitely find the threaded type in the 1860's sites but am not quite sure where the exact transition was from the 50's to the 60's.

WTG on all the rest of your guys' finds and congrats to Shanegalang in digging his first GS button!

IM

Thanks for your reply, my friend. My work weeks have been hectic too, but trying to squeeze in some morning digging hopefully soon. Yes, it was definitely threaded due to the hash marks on the rim...of course, the plow broke the screw-in part off. I'm sure that's somewhere in the field waiting to be dug...

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the deep mud and stinking standing water in the cane rows of our straggler field, plus the relentless mosquitos made it seem like a swamp, missing only the vegetation and water snakes.

Well, be grateful for that.......... Ha!

Great finds, under tough conditions. A lot of us would trade places with you for the excitement; thanks for the post.

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds and congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, be grateful for that.......... Ha!

Great finds, under tough conditions. A lot of us would trade places with you for the excitement; thanks for the post.

Only trouble is...I don't know that I would trade lol. I've grown kind of used to the swampy conditions. Makes it all the more sweet when something special shows up.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Will..........didnt even know you had this posted. You bandits........wait?? Thats me too :) We have so much yet so much more to find!! Cheers, Shanegalang

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread