Hunting in Winter

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Do you guys/gals hunt beaches in the winter? The cold states
of course, not the warm ones. Like up here in the Nor'east.
I know it's cold, the tourists are gone, but the sand is still there,
so can't you still find stuff all winter long?
I am probably going to get a Sovereign GT, but I am wondering
if I should wait until spring. Do you guys know when the new
models usually come out?

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Just wear warm clothes, a bennie cap and some gloves, make sure that you have some lekker hot coffie and rusks along as well, I do not see why winter should make any difference, just depends how cold it becomes, storms are nice they churn up the sand and move things around that you might find. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Yah, I think weather and tides should keep ocean treasure
moving along the beaches even in winter. I am curious if people
hunt the beaches in winter though, or wait until tourist season
anyway?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a Nor-eastern hits it would rip the beach apart with lots of treasure to be found. Like the Boyscouts say "Be Prepared", you never know when a perfect opportunity will come. You would need a good beach detector, good scoop, and warm clothes. As far North as I know you are, I would look into a snowmobile outfit or insulated coveralls and nice pair of gloves.......

A good toolbox with tools and spare supplies is also a must, nothing worse then being at the beach, new holes in beach everywhere, and you can't hunt because...........

1. Your batteries are dead, and you forgot your AA battery pack.
2. Your nylon coil bolt broke, you can't tighten it and your coil is flapping around.
3. No screw driver or plyers when you need one.
4. "Darn wish I had a tie wrap".
5. "Darn I forgot my scoop/ man I just broke the handle on my scoop" (yep I carry a spare scoop as well, I learned the hard way).
6. "Oh man I left my harness at home" (I carry two).
7. "Oh man the batteries in my head lamp are dead" ( carry spare AAA batteries), "Darn my headlamp is broke" (carry spare head lamp also)
8. Always carry spare Tear Drop washers for your coil.
9. "Electrical tape sure would be handy now".
10. Silcone grease
11. Water proof shoes is a must in the winter.
12. Allen wrench is always handy.
13. Good pair of cuters for those tiewraps.
14. Roll of velcro strips ALWAYS come in handy.
15. Large bottle of Ibuprofen is nice..............

My hunting partners will vouch that I have a large tackle box I carry on every hunt with all the above and more as well...............

I personally never go to the beach with less then 2 beach detectors if I am going local, and if I am going out of town to hunt I carry 3, and now with the new Excal with WOT coil I may carry 4......... :o
2 Excals, one with WOT coil, 1 waterproofed Sovereign GT with WOT coil, 1 Sovereign GT with SEF Butterfly 15" x 18" coil...................(I know Clyp, I will have to ride on the roof next time) :'(

Hope that helps some.............

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
I only hunt the beach in the winter. No one to bother me. Beach has usually been eroded down to hard pack. Even when the soft sand is frozen, the wet sand is diggable. Found all my gold during this time. Other than the obvious of dressing warm, my other important thing to bring is something for a runny nose. I'll be out there this week for sure.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks, Treasure_Hunter, the list you provided is really helpful!
It has a lot of things I did not even think of, like spare
wraps, bolts, fixing tools, head lamp, tape, etc...

Now if only I could decide which machine to buy!
Finally saw some detectors in person today. Went for the
Sovereign, the guy said he had it, but wouldn't take it
out of the box when I got there. I saw a bunch of
others though. They were bigger than I thought, certainly
not like the detectors when I was a kid. The guy wanted
me to buy a Safari, saying the Sovereign was too complicated.
Said the Safari was easier, and he rarely sold Sovereigns.
Read a lot of mixed reviews here on the Safari and it's too
heavy anyway. Not to mention that the price goes up every
time someone recommends a new machine.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Hi EARL51, It's great to know that you've found all your gold in the winter.
I was hoping some posters would say they were still finding good stuff
on the beach even when the tourists weren't there. Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hyaci, the sand during the winter still has the stuff left from not only this last season of beach goers but all the years before. You just have to keep your coil moving close to the sand and overlap a might. With the Sov GT's DD coil you don't have to over lap as much and it is farly deep. Treasure Hunter uses the WOT coil and does well with it for a younger guy.

Have you visitied this site http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/ Norm taught me a lot especially the Happy Dance. Email me if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread