hunting in wisconsin

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
When I was stationed at the Great Lakes Training Center, Milwaukee was one of my favorite cities. That was back in 1965. I do remember that it was one of the worst Winters I'd ever been through. I only wish I had been into MDing back then! I would suggest you find out if its ok to hunt in the city and county parks. It's a good place to start! Good luck and Happy Hunting!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Don't know if you've talked to the folks at Waukesha or not, but I think the regional Fisher rep is over there now. He had a few fellas who located the Milk can treasure over in Brookfield. Almost 1000 lbs. of silver coins in milk cans buried on an old farm. Not a bad haul and it was a feature article in WE & T a few years back.

I try to stay on this side of the cheddar curtain because it seems you need a permit for everything up to farting in dairyland so I'll advise you to check with some locals on rules and regs before going at it. Good luck and happy hunting!

W

WIhawk

I did a search for "wisconsin" and just found your message. I was in the Milwaukee County Parks office today, 1/28/05. Talked to one of the employees that used to some coin-shooting himself. He said that all the county parks are ok as long as you're not leaving gopher holes. He also said he's pulled some nice indian head pennys out of Humboldt Park. I live in 'Tosa, let me know where you're at maybe we can go together sometime. -WIhawk

aoc

Jan 26, 2005
Black Creek, Wisconsin
???
Anyone know of places in NE Wisconsin? (Green Bay / Appleton area)
Specifically, parks and other public areas. Does it depend on the city clerk if you get permission or do you just go and hope you don't get kicked out?

As you can tell, I am a newbie.

aoc

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
This may not be exactly in the Green Bay/Appleton area, but it's about the closest you'll find (ok...some possible legends/sites around Oshkosh and Fond du Lac, too, but they're very sketchy). Crivitz supposedly has one called (pardon the slur, but this is what it's called) Nigger's Hill. The stash was payment for furtrading to "Redbeard" (fur trader, not a pirate) and two associates, one of which was a very large black man...hence the name of the hill. The group was murdered by Indians being used as pawns by another group of traders in and around Green Bay. Do a search "Crivitz buried treasure" on the Wisconsin Historical Society website. There is a fairly lengthy article from the Wausaukee Independent in March 1917. Still no clue if it has ever been found.

Now that that's out of the way, "hi" everybody. If it's of interest, I plan on doing a MD around Gotham and Arena, WI along the Wisconsin River either later this fall or next spring. There are a few sites I've been researching and want to take a weekend to do some field work. I don't expect to find anything off the bat, but knowing where they're NOT buried helps just the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread